Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Varied working environment

A friendly environment with plenty of opportunities to find varied work. The majority of staff are friendly and professional in there approach to work.

Pros

Good local employer

Cons

Worst place to have ever worked - toxic to the core

This has to be the worst role ever taken on. Long hours with little to no support and a HRBP that was more focused on belittling their direct reports than understanding workloads or what support could be considered. No team working within HR or wider team.

Bullying

There was a huge bullying culture where I worked for 5 years, I was ill with it for most of that time because of it. The females in the dept were cruel, excluding, spiteful, ignored you completely, ungrateful, a really awful, awful lot supported by the Manager who was incapable of creating and team with equality. My personal file was left out for anyone to see, no apology from the Manager. Too much work, working under extreme pressure as fast as you could and no one, no one at all cared or recognised this. To top it all after I left after some absences from severe depression because of the way they treated me when I was offered a lovely new job with a private hospital the HR Dept at Yeovil Hospital tripled my sick time losing me the job! For instance If you work a 5 day week, have 2 days off sick they count it as all week!!! I didn't clap for the NHS, after what they did for me! Not a chanceThe HR Dept are useless at helping you or dealing with the bullying and when you leave they stop you getting another job if you have had any sick time from stress or similar so be warned don't be ill as the NHS will ruin any chance of another job by tripling your sick time

Pros

Cons

More work than humanly possible to deal with

Care assistant

When i got the job I was so made up , completed my 2 week training which overall was a waste of time , because when you go on the wards Every one does the opposite , felt rushed when on the wards felt like I wasn't involved and basically had to get on with it , you never had a review from anyone to see how you were getting on , some staff were lovely but rest not patient.

Great

It was a great place to work would recommend to any one considering working there to defo do it they’re all really really nice and welcoming especially to students

Okay place to work

I started off very low on the career rung at Yeovil Hospital so I was grateful for all the hours i could get (and there was many which were all my choice). I didn't see myself progressing fast so I left at the earliest opportunity. Working there is lovely, the transport links are great, the cafeteria provides reasonably priced food however some of the HCA's can be quite territorial so tread carefully!

Pros

Location, Good transport links

Difficult

Difficult to achieve a good work life balance Due to shift patterns, especially when you have young children and are prohibited from taking time off when they are unwell.

See cv

37.5 Hours a week. Admin work. new computer systems. data base handling. secure information. team work. friendships. multidisciplinary team. 5 Days a week.

Friendly and Forward Thinking

I loved working at Yeovil Hospital, with friendly staff and a culture of learning and improvement to their services. I would very happily work there again. However, I had one temporary contract there, and a 0 hours contract for which I worked full time for a year. I therefore always felt insecure regarding job and salary, and would have much preferred to have worked on fixed term contracts for some job security. Ideally, my loyalty and reliability would have been rewarded with a permanent contract. Yeovil District Hospital have an ethos of continuous improvement in their services but I would like HR to recognise the input of individuals as well as the permanent staff.

Pros

Bright canteen with decent food. Small hospital so you can become familiar with regular staff.

Cons

Lack of fixed term and permanent contracts.

Nice workplace

I loved chatting to lots of patients everyday. I loved being a hospital porter for 8 years. The Porters I worked with were helpful and friendly. I learnt how to prioritise the jobs what needed doing first. It was very warm in the summer.

Pros

Good wages

Cons

YDH has always been a great place to work. Like a big family. Of course the NHS is changing and YDH is no exception, but it has managed to acclimatise to local demand for its services and is a great innovator.

Great Learning environment

Great environment to learn new skills Fast paced Friendly Very professional Great staff Alot of opportunities to develop your skills and to learn new skills

Working at Yeovil Hospital

A friendly and cheerful workplace with huge challenges. (requires improvement) Departmental management are challenged by senior management who seem unable to accept that the trust needs to streamline processes and become more competitive in an open market. At the lower levels its a great place to work, at senior level I'd give it a wide berth.

Extremely busy, diverse and innovative

YDH is a forward thinking, fast moving and unconventional innovative NHS Foundation Trust district hospital. Quick to invest and support initiatives and new ideas.

Pros

Close knit managment teams

Cons

Staffing pressures, resource pressures, conflicting demands

Fun workplace, meetin a lot of people.

I learn English really good, I knew a lot of people I liked how they treated each other. My skills there was cleaning, serving food, doing drinks for patients, I really liked to work there because that was work with people.

Friendly

Friendly staff, good initial training. Work is varied and always lots to do. Other staff are always willing to offer help and on the job training. Good team players.

Productive and fun,exciting place to work

my work involved working in various departments around the hospital learning how each department makes up the structure of a hospital and the day to day running.

Very friendly, Productive Environment, Wonderful Management

Friendly and approachable management. Company of co-workers always enjoyable. Listening to "The Archers" on the radio during lunch breaks. Taught a wide variety of transferable skills. Never short of work, yet never felt overworked.

Very productive and comfortable work.

Every day was different, always busy and always a challenge. Gained a lot of experience through different situations. Was a very fun place to work

Pros

Different departments - could move to a different department if there was a vacancy.

A busy and demanding environment but satisfying

The day starts at 07.30 hrs with a brief handover of the ten patients in our care.The person in charge of the previous shift who understands the workload allocates the patients. As a Sister I am often in Charge which means helping and managing the staff under my care enabling them to take their essential meal breaks . Liasing with other professionals such as the medical Consultants, Dieticians , Pharmacist and physiotherapist . The Nurse in Intensive care inteprets the patient to the world and the world to the patient. They would explain situatations to the relatives . I enjoy working in close co-operation with my colleagues and have regularly taken small groups to extend their knowledge . I have found the 12.5 hr days long and i preferred the 7.5 days we used to have.

Pros

improving the acutely unwell .

Cons

Long days worked exclusively - 12.5 hrs + more time

Excellent

Good place to be working in. Friendly staff. Nice place. General Hospital. Good training.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?