Westlake Chemical

Westlake Chemical Employee Reviews

Good pay

Good pay. Opportunities for career advancement are hard to come by. The culture is kind of old school, but the people are really easy to get along with.

It’s ok

No training, and they will put you out there with low training. They also give overtime for wit little to no notice. 32.99 is a lot of money though to start off with

Great pay great benefits

Great place to work, good benefits. People are awesome to work with. If you get hired hopefully you don’t end up in the vcm until. Vcm isn’t terrible it’s just a old unit, and a lot of maintenance work daily. Which means more work for the operators.

Great place to work, depending on your specialty.

It was the typical lab job, pretty routine work. The benefits were great and the managers were pretty laid back. The job growth from the lab was pretty non existent.

Great co-workers.....management don't have a clue

This is the type of place if you kiss warehouse supervisor butt your in good hands...if not don't expect to gain much but write up and a headache!!! You will learn fast that the cameras only work when they are needed to cost you your job or for write up but not don't work 2 weeks later when they are needed to prove you are in the right in a particular situation when it involves supervisors or management....but most of the people that spent time on the floor are great people you have your butt kisses but they are easy to spot

Pros

Non really

Cons

Everything....lol

Good company to work for.

Good pay and benefits, good managers. Employee safety is highly stressed from the top of the organization down through the ranks. Much emphasis is placed on the training of operations personnel. Employees are given the freedom to do their job without being micro-managed.

Super fun

Super cool place, I love my job and hate that I am leaving. I wouldn't be if they had overnight hours. They really work with you and try to give you as many promotions as possible

Terrible

Got screwed, management is so corrupt. They will do anything to advance there careers. Take so much kick back and point blame elsewhere. Would not recommend accepting position they expect you to work and travel endlessly and then at the first opportunity will point blame and not support you in any way.

Good pay, Good schedule, Poor managment

Management tolerates poor workers and loads the good workers up to make up for the others. They pay well, and the schedule is good. A lot of the plant employees are great people. Things have changed drastically here. It is sad.

Lacking Internal Equity - Work Overload

At Westlake an employee can complain to sr. manager about their boss, and rather than addressing the issue, they will gladly change your reporting line. Some employees can pick chose the work they will and will not do, and what ever they won't do gets piled on someone else. Not to mention that you get dinged on your annual evaluation for the stuff that was not yours responsibility in the first place. The employee who complains gets promoted and gets all the monetary benefits (bonus/incentives) that come with the promotion, and the person being piled on gets zilch! It's the Westlake way.You can put in 10 hour days, that is never enough and are expected to work on your days off. Many times you have no choice but to work on your days off because of the overwhelming workload. If you value time with your family or if you have young kids, this is not the place for you. If your part of the account and finance department forget it. If you let them, they will work you to death!

Great job if you want to work your life away and never see your family

I strongly don’t recommend working for Westlake pipe and fittings, they do not give holidays off, you can only get 7 points per year, policy’s change weekly and are very favoritism based, there is little to no support for success, and there is plenty of mandatory overtime so prepare to not get much time with your family/friends. Ps very nasty and hot work environment.

Pros

Decent pay and friendly co workers

Cons

Company is complete opposite of family oriented

Would not recommend

Just not a god company to work for in the customer service office sector. Management doesn’t care about their employees, everyone hates working there. HR is rude, big turn around . Just a waste of time. No progression

Pros

They don’t care what time you come in

Cons

They don’t care about their employees

Westlake Download Side

The company fronts what they want new hires or current employees to believe, beware these so called company rules, protocols change daily, depending upon the mindset or lack of employees or temporary employees, it’s extremely dusty, loud air sound environment, lack of fresh air, more of dusty hot air blowing throughout the plant, communication seems to be a daily misunderstanding from the company itself “ managers “ are lacking the necessary educational skills themselves to help manage daily work, they use a lot of temporary staffing services to seek out people, for workers most in the area or surrounding areas realized the abuse and lack of respect they give employees already employed, the company itself really could use a totally overhaul, plant managers to floor managers, to HR managers the entire plant needs to be rebooted starting with the managers first and coming down the line, only way to fix the issues they’re not wanting fixed, it’s the managers, downsize restructuring, get rid of the buddy system in play. Best, advice for any job seeker look on don’t waste your time with this place!

Pros

Can’t think of any

Cons

Breaks to short and lunch is so short !

Laid back fairly easy job, does not pay well

I like the work and I like the people I work with. There is very little room for advancement. There is no structure to this company. You never know what you’ll be doing from day to day. The pay is not competitive with similar jobs in the area. All in all it’s a very easy job and you can learn a lot but there not many incentives.

Pros

Good people to work with and work for

Cons

Low pay, no structure

Official response from Westlake Chemical

August 3, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We strongly encourage all employees to discuss career development and advancement opportunities with both their supervisor/manager and their Human Resources Business Partner. We know that growth is important to our employees and our people are our greatest asset. There may be opportunities in other areas of the business or upcoming opportunities that career conversations can help facilitate.

BANANAS……Poor Top Management. No Accountability!

This place is BANANAS! Poor Top Management & Production Leaders. We recently lost out entire QC Management, both well knowledgeable of all the Labs/Processes. The entire site is a mess and work culture is bad. They continue to promote bad managers into other positions & have no knowledge of what they are managing. How can you manage a dept & have no clue of how things work or the employees?? Don’t even think about contacting HR. THEY ARE ENEMIES ! Don’t even apply to work here OPS. Bad training. Bad Management! Stop setting unachievable QIP metrics! You don’t have Manpower or people who care. Employees are only here to collect a check. They don’t care about Management or respect Goals! Such a waste. Everyone is looking to GET OUT!

Pros

Pay.

Cons

Overtime, Training, High turnover, low morale

Zero worklife balance, forced overtime

Good pay. Family comes last. Forced, mandatory overtime. Bidding procedures to move to other jobs are more often than not denied. Management can be vindictive. There is definitely money to be made.

Pay is not there

Management states you are going to receive a raise but never comes through. Drivers do run the clock. Stay at a gas station or parked for long periods.

Cons

Low pay

Under Staffed, Over-worked, and Under Paid

The leadership believes in running very lean, yet adds on projects and other activities that is overwhelming. The workplace culture isn't very collaborative, and "not my job" is a common attitude. Leaders should address the cultural issues instead of ignoring and hiding from it.

Pays well

The pay is nice compared to other plants but that’s the extent of the positives. Too much negativity from all levels. Especially HR. Everyone is out for themselves and you’ll never see your family with the amount you’ll have to work

Pros

Pay

Cons

Negative culture

High paced and Decent pay

If you want to work a lot of hours. It’s good place to stay busy! Always extra hours to be worked. Can be labor intensive in certain departments. Hot in the summertime. Cool in the winter.

Pros

Hours and pay

Cons

Preventive maintenance

Official response from Westlake Chemical

August 3, 2022
Thank you for the feedback! We know that the demands of professional life may be overwhelming at times and that work-life balance is important to our employees. Westlake offers flexible work options for a large population of employees and participation does vary by department. If you ever felt like you had no work-life balance we genuinely hope that you took time to sit down and discuss the situation with your manager to see what could have be done to help.

Not a good place to escalate positions

Management is bad, the people in the administrative positions are not educated, and for that reason they do not have ethical values and do not care about the employees and the company needs, thing such as machinery are falling apart, but they do not give the especial attention until these stop working. There is a lot of favoritism, and they value hard working people.

Pros

In my case I had the day off when I need it.

Cons

Bad management no promotion poor ethical values, there were discrimination and favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westlake Chemical. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Westlake Chemical
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?