Vanguard logo

Vanguard Employee Reviews for Client Associate

Client Associate96 reviews

Found 96 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,527 reviews

Call Center

The role was challenging in that training was very quick and inadequate. Policies were constantly changing and the role is driven by metrics and not client satisfaction. Cultural divide between employees on the phones and those off the phones is extreme.

Great retirement if you plan to retire with the company

It’s a great place to start you career, however low pay compared to the finance industry. Will pay for lfinra exam. Tax season is super busy.

Pros

Lots of PTO

Cons

Hard to Advance

With Vanguard, you know what you are getting

Great place to work for job security, set hours where you aren't forced to work hours of OT if you don't want to, and managers who are generally supportive. Most clients are pleasant. However, it is a call center, so depending on the role you are in you might take 20-40 calls per day. Currently remote until September at the latest, with apparently opportunities for hybrid schedules being introduced. Burn out is real, and training for roles isn't as great as it could be - they typically throw you out there when you are completely blind. However, coworkers are pleasant and supportive. I'd say that is probably because most employees know the phones are not fun so no need to kick each other when we are down. Another perk is that in your role you truly act as a fiduciary, so (in the entry level phones jobs at least) you aren't pressure to push products on clients.

Pros

Management, call volumes after tax season can be a bit more relaxed, generally pleasant clients

Cons

Constant tech issues, hours wait time during tax season, repetitive / burn out

They boast about not firing people, But truth is they use a lot of contractors and pay them cheaply

I felt that the training for phone reps was poor but expectations were high. The quality expectations for phone calls were vague and inconsistent, and the articles in the SOPs were written terribly and hard to understand. If I was on a phone call and needed help from a team lead, the team lead was more than often not available and I had to leave the customer on hold for long periods, yet I was blamed for long hold times. When needing to transfer a call to a licensed crew member there was often push back because they didn't want to take the call. And there's only one way a customer can communicate with Vanguard: telephone. No chat. No email or texting. And hold times for a customer can be up to one hour.

Good place to start your career journey...but that's about it

Career paths are limited if you start on the phones. VGI is a good place to start your career and obtain your licenses and some investment knowledge but it's not a place to spend your entire career unless you want to be on the phones forever.

Pros

Nice campus, mostly nice people, plenty of parking

Cons

Non-stop phone calls

Good place to start

Good place to start when trying to obtain licenses. The training and support for licensing is great. Is a call center environment and is quite fast paced.

Not at all what I expected.

I have worked with Vanguard through a temp agency for over a year as a Client Service Associate. This is a call center job; however, not the typical call center because you’re helping people manage their investments and process transactions. The training is inadequate, the team leads micromanage and delegate a large portion of their responsibilities to the team. There is no regard for work/life balance...your schedule changes without notice, your lunch schedule can change an hour before your scheduled lunch. The work culture is for new college grads and executives. The conversion rate from temp to permanent is low. You may feel baboozled after starting because the position described is much different from what your responsibilities are and the offer to go permanent is not presented in the time frame advised. Neither was the opportunity to pursue series 7 & 63 licenses as originally promised (which would present the opportunity to convert to permanent). High stress due to rude customers and poor leadership (young adults who need more intense training on the industry, leadership skills, communication skills and team building).

Pros

In office mandatory 30 min lunch comes with free food, executives and new college grads are excited.

Cons

No regard for work/life balance, low temp to perm conversion on the teams on which I worked, licensing opportunity never presented, inadequate training, back-to-back calls, micro-management.

Call center

It is just a call center job. They Don’t do much to make sure that you get time off phones it can be extremely exhausting and clients are very demanding and rude they never receive repercussions from Vanguard

Rebadged to Infosys

It was a wonderful place to work until they decided to lay off 1,300 people. A rebadge to Infosys is a layoff, not a strategic partnership. If you don’t buy into it you get to see the ugly side of this company. I drank the kool-aid offered at orientation so this move surprised me. If you get hired remember that their zero layoff history they like to throw around is a lie.

Pros

Yearly bonus, purchased PTO

Cons

Infosys

Team oriented and looking for all to excel!

It's fast moving but totally worth it. Culture is totally supportive of employees thriving in current roles as well as setting up career path of advancement within the company.

Call Center with no work life balance and terrible platform

Ive worked for 5 different financial firms in the industry and Vanguard is the worst out of the 5. They tout work life balance however nearly every week your lunch time is cut to keep up with the demand of the non-stop calls. The training was extremely poor, you have to start talking with clients when you know very little, so you have to place clients on hold constantly while you find the answer, so the already angry client becomes even more aggravated. The platform itself is probably the WORST in the industry. Vanguard is an online/telephone ONLY business yet they invest so little into their system, it is one of the worst platforms for users. The call center structure is also horrendous. I would definitely look else where if you have other options.

Not for me

A client relationship associate role is just you answering phone calls. all. day. lots of #s and stats you have to meet and are watched on, have to publicly report to the group on why you had a bad day. Most calls you get are about account stuff people can go fix online but call for instead or mailing out forms, or switching them to another department. the licensing process is a while other task if #s and sticks are difficult for you. not where you want to stay at for long too long. especially if you’re iffy on finance and stocks

Pros

benefits package, on campus perks, lots of people in your age range (college grads/20s)

Cons

weird hours, lots of mandatory overtime, high pressure

Excellent vacation time with the ability to buy a week

You had to have a particular personality and look to advance Males over 40 rarely have a shot to advance or be given the opportunity. Could not get a simple answer most of the time.

Work Life Balance

Work life Balance can be improved. There could be better scheduling for employees along with a better system for taking time off. It also would be nice to get paid on par with the competition

Friendly Work Environment

Be ready to speak with a lot of clients daily, not related to finance. The culture and environment is above average, but it takes a while to move up in the company.

You're not allowed on campus if you don't pass Series 7.

When you don't pass Series 7 they terminate you when you leave the testing center. You are left with no job. Definitely felt like call center. High risk taking the job because you don't if you are going to pass or fail in series 7.

One of the BEST jobs I ever had!

They truly care about their employees. The training was OUTSTANDING; Interactive, interesting, engaging, fun even! The culture here is just fantastic! A great company to work for!!!

Do Not Recommend

Vanguard is really good at marketing their entry-level opportunities, but once you work there, you quickly realize it is all a lie. They make it sound amazing, but taking inbound calls from clients is quite miserable. There are so many brilliant people who work at Vanguard who settle for a job they don't enjoy for pay below industry standards - all because they think it will lead to a better job within Vanguard. The opportunities are few and far between. I notice as well that people either make lateral moves or leave the company, because they the roles they went to college for and are qualified for are not available.The most enjoyable part of the job are the people - if the people weren't so great, I would have left months ago.

Not a good place to work

If you're licensed I recommend you find a job that provides opportunity to learn and advance in the industry. The culture there is built around college graduates and not mature job seekers in the industry.

Benefits

Cons

Incredibly competitive and stressful, but good benefits

My position at Vanguard was their client relationship associate/ brokerage investment professional. I don't believe Vanguard is very honest about the job when you go through training, it is incredibly stressful, and not flexible. You take incoming calls all day long from clients, and get a lunch and 30 minutes of break a day that you can only use during certain times. It's extremely competitive to move on to anything else, but might be worth it if your end goal is to work as a financial advisor or another sector of finance there. I don't think there is enough support for employees and clients can be truly awful, would not suggest this position for anyone not interested in customer service.

Pros

Lots of PTO, good benefits, fair hours

Cons

Short breaks, competitive, not flexible or diversity in your day

Vanguard

a typical day at Vanguard was relaxed for the most part. I was working as a Financial Consultant on the phones and they could get pretty busy. Mostly clients calling to move money around or to make a distribution. I enjoyed working for Vanguard, a nice pleasant place along with the people there. The hardest part of the job would be the phone- having a busy queue. The most enjoyable part of my job was talking to the clients and helping them out with their needs.

Pros

Relax and pleasant atmosphere.

Cons

Job advancement is poor, pretty much only phones.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question