Vanguard logo

Vanguard Employee Reviews for Client Associate

Client Associate96 reviews

Found 96 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,527 reviews

Call Center

The role was challenging in that training was very quick and inadequate. Policies were constantly changing and the role is driven by metrics and not client satisfaction. Cultural divide between employees on the phones and those off the phones is extreme.

Worked from home. Good hours. Great benefits. Good pay.

I liked the position (client relationship associate). I had no previous experience so it was rough for me learning about stocks. I’m sure if I had knowledge in the field my experience would have been way better. They provided the study materials for the SIE, Series 7, and 63. It was stress free besides me panicking about retaining the knowledge. If you retain information fast go for it. If you understand money go for it. Grateful for the opportunity. This is the prime example of God getting you a seat at the table you don’t qualify to sit at. I learned a lot of knowledge to apply in my personal life and I got to keep all the material (books on stocks etc.). The only complaint is there is no direct support for the information learned. It’s either you get it or you don’t. Either way, you leave with knowledge which is more than having a title. I can now hold conversations about stocks and can plan better for my future.

Essentially a Call Center Job

Co-workers and management make the job bearable but it's definitely not for everyone. Can be exhausting being on the phone as much as you are and the clientele base can be difficult to interact with especially in any foundational role.

Not enough staff

I found myself stressed quite a bit!!! Customers are upset and rude because of the ridiculous wait times, which often exceeds 30 minutes to an hour. By the time you get them on the line they’re extremely frustrated! So many calls, it can be quite overwhelming!

Get your licenses but then get out

This is a good place for recent grads to get their licenses, learn about the industry, and then move on. It’s basically a call center. You can advance within the company if you put in your time and play the corporate game, but you will consistently earn below average pay compared to leaving for a competitor. Get what you can out of your experience and then look elsewhere.

Call center environment

They won't tell you, but it is a call center environment. You will get yelled at by at least one client per day which will entirely ruin the experience for you. Expected to take as many phone calls as possible throughout the day which is mentally and emotionally exhausting when the wait times are 30+ mins every day. They will shorten your lunch period with no regard for how that matters to you.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Expendable, exhausting

Not a finance job. Avoid

Vanguard is a great place to get your licenses for free, but besides that this job is utterly miserable. Incompetent managers, extreme micromanagement, you will be expected to be on the phone 100 percent of your day besides lunch and are tracked by the second. One break and you will hear about it, often in front of your whole team. They literally do not care about the quality of your actual work, only that you hit your metrics and speak to as many clients as possible to compensate for severe understaffing. You hang up the phone and it immediately starts ringing again before you can even take a breath. The calls are relentless, and most of the time the client on the line has been on hold for an hour prior, so obviously they will be angry and take it out on you. There’s nothing you can do about it, you have to sit back and take it while these clueless “investors” scream and complain about things that are out of your control. This is all day, every day, for 8 hours. Total mindless and soul crushing work that will leave you feeling burned out quick. My hours are 9:30 - 6:30 which has negatively affected my mental health to the point where the only thing I feel throughout my day is sheer hopelessness. They drag out the duration of the phone roles and delay the promotion process as long as they can, using “subdivisions” disguised as actual promotions to give their staff a glimmer of optimism. Managers are corporate robots that regurgitate useless “support” and advice that has literally no worth or effect on their team members. My team is laughably unmotivated, and why shouldn’t we -

Pros

Pto

Cons

Laughably underpaid and overworked, awful management, too focused on numbers and not focused enough on quality of work, long and brutal hours

Productive place to Work

Bad communication between management . Pay could have been better. Remote job but moving back to the office soon. Have to pass three test before stating the job

Low Cost provider for a reason

Reputable company to start with. Pay way less than peers and the 7.5 hour work day is bs, never worked less than 9. Called out once when I learned a friend passed and was reprimanded for not giving notice. Would not recommend. Long days, low pay, the client relations department is inept and teaches you to take no accountability. If you never take action with clients it can never come back that you did anything wrong. The culture is taking clients through the motion in hopes they’ll hang up and not want to wait in the massive queues.

Pros

Extremely easy and mindless work, reputable firm for a resume

Cons

Take lunch break away twice weekly, can’t be promoted on merit only time in job, bad pay, awful management

Client relationship associate

Good training, good people, beat job. Glorified call center roll. Technology they use is grossly outdated and the front line works take the brunt of it.

Good company, low pay

The company is solid, very respected in the industry. The pay is below average and does not compete with similar firms. The hours are normal and coworkers make it better.

Decent

Talking on phone all day. Micromanaged. Good place to get your foot in the door of the industry. A lot of turnover. Seems like most people there are able to get by, but it wasn’t for me

Great company, high stress job

I think the company itself is great, and management makes a considerable effort to show they care about crew, even if the help/improvement they can provide is limited. Unfortunately if you’re working on the phones, it is extremely stressful and easy to feel burned out.

Pros

Job Security, Benefits, Company Culture

Cons

burnout, high stress environment

Needs better compensation

The job is a bit of a grind for very little compensation. Unless you live directly in the area, commuting will become a challenge once the offices open back up. Not an ideal work/life balance.

Need to put in the time

Pay for you to get your licenses, however the company throws you right into the fire. The job has a high turnover rate so they're constantly hiring new people

Vanguard is more concerned with metrics than people.

Vanguard is a financial services firm with great benefits. Working in their call center is extremely stressful. Members of team are friendly. Difficult to advance in company

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Few chances for advancement

Good place to start

Vanguard is a good place to start but advancement is difficult. Employees are great but it can be difficult talking to clients all day every day with little break time.

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

Short breaks, call center is difficult

Client relationship associate

not a terrible job for a call center, but that’s in essence what it is and it is BORING. Literally talking to clients for 8 hours a day so it gets old after 2 weeks

Pros

Work life balance

Cons

pay, short breaks, talking to clients 8 hours in a day

Good people

Overall nice people who want you to succeed but in the long run, you are a number. I am hoping to advance quickly but it will take more than a year to do that because of the training they have.

Pros

they give you everything you need to succeed

Cons

low salary

Great company, but terrible entry role and poor compensation

Vanguard is great as a company. The entry-level job as a call center worker is not what I envisioned as a finance professional. Compensation is really low for the industry. I make $43,000 gross which ends up being $1,170 net biweekly. I generally despise my days and find them quite miserable - I am on the phone with strangers for 8 hours having unsophisticated finance conversations for meager wages. If I could switch to a financial analyst role or trade execution role I would be much happier. But we are locked in our role for 1 year, and that is after moving from foundational to a focus area, so really it turns into your first 1.5-2 years on the phones and that is assuming you get a role off the phones as soon as you're eligible for an internal transfer. Would hate my life much less if I could do something of utility for the company where they actually used my talents, or if the compensation made up for the depression. Would really only recommend the job if you live at home and have minimal expenses and if you don't mind a mindless job / talking on the phone all day every day.

Pros

Reputable organization, Good licensing program, Culture is good

Cons

Work itself is miserable, Meager compensation, Locked into roles, Leadership disregards talent management

A mixed bag...

Especially for an entry level job, the pay isn't bad at all. However, your sanity will be tested day in and day out as the job is extremely mentally draining. It is a call center job - that is not openly told to applicants, and you don't truly learn what you'll be doing until about two months into training. Call center jobs are not for the faint of heart. Although I was good at my job according to my manager as well as my numbers, I could not continue taking 50-60 calls per day. It's the perfect job if you don't mind these tasks, and it's especially great if you want to break in to the finance industry but didn't study finance in college. Paid Series 7/63 training, good bonuses. But don't be fooled, it is a call center job. There is extremely high turnover.

Benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question