USAA

USAA Employee Reviews

Showing all 3,927 reviews

Great Benefits

Awesome benefit pkg. for the employee and family members, good insurance and benefits that can help the employee during stressful times. Work from Home

Benefits

Cons

Sales

There’s a reason for the turnover

From day one at USAA, its been nothing but chaos and lack of direction. Seniors and managers all give different responses to questions depending on the day. Favoritism runs rampant in all departments and even though you may have exceeded expectations on numbers, there is little work life balance. They front load a ton of PTO but good luck trying to use any of it because the calendar is completely blocked off. Be prepared for a guilt trip if you ever try and use your earned time. For a company who’s mission is solely about military families and values, unless your spouse is deploying, they could care less about your life. You’re just a number. Have a chronic illness? They will use it as an excuse to gaslight you and tell you that you’re too much or that you’re too emotional about everything. I honestly thought this company was better going into it, disappointed and burnt out is an understatement.

Cons

Zero work life balance

Overworked and underpaid

I worked for USAA for nearly six years and as time went by things progressively got worse. No relief in sight for auto adjusters. You’re slammed with incoming calls (back to back) and discouraged from making calls out on your own claims. There’s no such thing as even using the restroom at a time outside of your scheduled break/lunch. There’s no such thing as having a manageable workload. There’s no such thing as relief. They sell you with “amazing benefits” that really are standard at other large companies. I didn’t realize I was grossly underpaid until I left for another company. If you value your sanity, please find a job elsewhere.

Slow to change

USAA is slow to innovate and adopt new technologies and ways of working. Change management and communication are sub par which effects all levels of the organization.

USAA is an extremely toxic work environment where management has no true strategic vision

The company in total is a mismanaged organization who has individuals in leadership positions who breed a toxic work environment. No strategic vision and attempting to use basic benefits such as STD is impossible and most of the time outright denied. Stress is encouraged. And individuals are reprimanded for challenging stale and outdated ideas in a professional manner. Senior leaders are hypocrites and while the company’s problems (especially at USAA Bank) are well documented and in fact are putting the organization at risk, the problems are not resolved. Management terminates individuals for no reason and uses the concept of “Against Our Core Principles” as justification. Yet executive leaders perform in such a manner that they also perform “Against Our Core Principles”, yet no repercussions exist against them no matter how many individuals report the manager to Human Resources. Turnover is extremely high, yet no one looks at the underlying reasons. I suggest individuals stay as far away from USAA. The money they throw at you is not worth jeopardizing your health and core beliefs.

Pros

They serve our military.

Cons

The entire work environment. The ethical behavior of executives.

Call Centers lead to burn out

USAA is known to be a good place to work. If you can make it to a job with minimal phone time, I’d agree. Claims is a call center. Massive claims load. Metrics are very tiring to meet. It’s possible but you’ll burn out. If I could get one point across to upper management; change to improve a process is good, change for the sake of change is bad.

Lost its way to many job duties

The company has lost its way. There are way to many job duties and you are underpaid and over stressed. I would get the experience and leave for a pg raise . The management has lost its way . You will work total loss without a pay raise.

Okay work environment

So far the work environment has been OK. Luckily I do have a great manager but there are sometimes I feel like the company offers a lot of events to keep you mind off of the negatives. Such as lower pay and the work load in a call center environment.

Great networking and experience, but...

USAA offers professional development that is second to none. The relationships built with leadership and peers creates a lasting networking circle, but there is zero work/life balance. The expectations/workload grows and is not manageable within a 40 hour work week. I will say that my experience acquired from employment there helped advance my career. I 100% recommend this company for employment opportunities.

Good company, some managers not helpful

Great company and benefits. I worked in auto claims and if a member requested a manager you either had to put in a task for a manager to call them back which 75% of the time they didn’t call or had to call a manager rotary which most of the time the manager would not take the call and they would tell you to put a task which was already done. My manager was awesome and helpful, but not the case of all managers.

Consistent integrity

Overall, the company is fabulous. Culture is there but becoming too corporate for employees to truly express empathy to people when they need it most.

Great employer for employees with growth mindset

This company is great for employees who want to grow their skillsets. Company paid for my MBA and Cloud Certifications. Pay isn't most competitive, but the benefits are great and make up for this.

Pros

Great education benefits; leaders genuinely care for employees growth

Cons

Cash compensation isn't the most competitive

I’ve loved working for Usaa. Great company culture. A lot of opportunity for growth. The home office is beautiful, with great on site perks (Starbucks, cafes, etc)

Employees are just a number

Concept of USAA is really good in theory. As an auto adjuster you are inundated with massive amounts of task. At the same time you’re expected to be on the phone answering calls. It’s all numbers driven and employees are disposable. There’s always someone eager to take your spot. If you don’t mind being worked relentlessly and with very little recognition with good pay it’s a good fit for you.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Not being allowed to take PTO

Actions speak louder than words

You'll have to do overtime to keep up with your list, the list of those who quit, and inbound calls. Management will do the bare minimum to keep their jobs, even if it means sacrificing the greater good of the members and employees. Plenty of empty culture promises and events to gaslight employees into staying.

Great place to learn, but there's caveats

Great employment opportunity for entry level positions, and excellent environment to build skills and experience in the field. It is difficult to continue growth from there. "Member contact" roles vs. "non-member contact roles" are somewhat pitted against each other.

Great company and mission, poor execution

USAA is mission driven to serve members of the military community, veterans, and their families. This focus is what separates them, in a great way, from other Insurance companies. The pay is at the top of the segment and the benefits are arguably the best in the industry. Unfortunately, the management team was of such bad quality that it made working for a good company, a terrible experience. Micromanagement and the sole focus on numbers/analytics was a daily occurrence. The technology was dated, and the inept management led to massive delays on any improvements in the pipeline. While the company was focussed on growing membership, the hiring did not reflect that and overtime was needed a majority of the time to meet metrics expected of you. This seemed to be the case across a vast majority of the different job roles and departments. Thankfully, you worked with high quality team members who understood the situation and fostered a strong team mentality. It cannot be understated how horrible the management was. It made the daily experience unpleasant and often times miserable. Grudges, vendettas, unprofessional behavior, demeaning treatment, lying, and fear tactics were all commonplace. It is a disservice to the military community that are the focus of USAA's mission.

Pros

Mission, Co-Workers, pay and benefits, Remote work, lack of upward mobility

Cons

Deplorable management, unrealistic metrics, massive workload

Ehhh

It’s an ok company not paid enough for the amount of workload. Also the recruiters said different things. Then once you get the job you’re told different things . 44k salary including a Christmas bonus.

Pros

Cams badge

Cons

Little pay

Great benefits package

Working at USAA has its ups and down. The company itself has great culture and employee engagement, but there were times were burnout was high and would happen often. The work is tough, but doable, but would be nice to really ensure there is sufficient work life balance.

Great Benefits

Back to back claims calls, on top of high demand of calls you work as a team by taking status calls on top of your work list, you must meet phone metrics along with work list metrics while having very little time to keep up with your own assigned claims because you are stuck in a call center environment.

Used to be good… now not so much

They’ve lost their way. The company used to be great to work for but now they value numbers over people. They say service is their main focus, however if your numbers aren’t perfect, they don’t care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at USAA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• USAA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?