Staples

Staples Employee Reviews

Showing all 12,525 reviews

Great place for part time work.

Great place for part time work. Staples closed the store location that I worked at for part time work. Great group of employees and bosses. Didn't mind working late. Comparable salary for part time retail.

Pros

Discounts for employees.

Cons

Not enough hours.

Great vision, poor execution

The company has big plans but the execution is horrible. They don’t pay the people that have been there for a while fairly compared to new hires. If you want a promotion, it’s about who you know, not what you do. If you’re not going to answer, “yes” to every question that management asks of you, don’t apply. They keep asking for more but keep giving less to support the ask. They don’t respect associates personal time. They have a company app that they force you to use on your own personal device and send you notifications at all hours of the day. People are leaving faster than they are coming in and nobody at their home office is looking in the mirror to take responsibility. They just blame the stores for everything. If you’re looking for a part time position, go to Walmart. They pay more and expect less. I believe they have good intentions, but no follow through. It’s too bad … it could be such an amazing place to work.

Lots of work

This was years ago but you had to work from “bell to bell” on the weekends. Times have changed and I hope it’s for the better. The pay wears very competitive, but you definitely had to work for it.

Good place to start if you need work experience but no professionalism at all

Good place to start if you need work experience. Management provide a toxic environment for associates. Manager does not know how to be professional in certain situations. The amount of work that needs to be done does not compare to what they pay.

Pros

Nice co workers

Cons

They care only about numbers and sales, management gossiping with other associates, understaffed, no professionalism

workplace issues

honestly in the time that I've worked for staples, I've realized that they do not care about your time. the longer you work there, the less hours you get which makes no sense because you know more than a new person would know. also, at least at my staples specifically, there's always a schedule change without your knowledge and there never seem to be any hours when you ask for it but they decide to call you in when you cannot come in. the managers don't really care about certain departments, specifically copy center, so much drama over orders that you were not in charge of but they hold you accountable when someone else loses it, specifically one person who always loses orders, a lot of favoritism goes on as well. some employees get their way no matter what and our general manager will always find a way to blame someone else for someone else's mistakes. honestly the worst job i've ever had in my life. would not recommend it for anyone unless it's a little side job. they lie to you during the interview and tell you there's so many shifts that need to be covered but somehow we're always understaffed and there are never any hours to give. my store specifically i would not recommend working at. i honestly feel like we are very close to losing business.

Awful management

Title says it all. If the managers were actually present when needed it wouldn’t have been so bad. The managers are almost always new and looking to prove something all while what little remained of the older management worked about as hard as the average tech department employee. They loved to hide in back rooms or the office to avoid having to actually help when they were needed. They want you to act as manager so they don’t have to.

Good job

Staples is a pretty easy job if you go into a area you have some knowledge on like copy and printing or tech but if you want to just do anything you can a floor person and stock/help people or work at the register

Review summary it would be a better company if they aimed at the local area it’s located in

Micro corporate control ,a great tendency to ignore there own rules, and a employee education system that does not work with reality. There is also a tendency to Treat all stores in all areas the same not accounting for customer base say the difference between a big city, and a small country town

Pros

For the most part the people are good to work with

Cons

Brakes are irregular, short handed

Pass Go Somewhere Else

Hostel work interment. Management vs team members. Management gives more attitude than positive vibes or feedback. They care about numbers more than they do to their workers. It's a revolving door job.

Good job and pay if you don’t transfer

It was a great place to work at in the beginning, fast paced and you needed to learn very quickly or you’d be stuck. It’s a great job to work at if you have someone who is willing to take their time with you. Working in the copy center is the most aggressive part of the store, you’re on your feet multi-tasking all day and having to know where everything is or it will create a mess.The only thing I have to say is don’t try to transfer because they will dock your pay. I transferred and lost $6 in pay when I moved and did not get to work for roughly two weeks. I wouldn’t have minded the pay decrease if I wasn’t told by my GM and ASM that our pay is never touched with transfers.

Wonderful Coworkers in a Very chaotic and stressful environment.

This review is brutally honest. I worked in the Print and Marketing department for about a year and a half during college, and I can genuinely say it has got to be one of the most stressful jobs I have ever had. On a positive note, this job is a very good step for people who would like to go into printing/graphic design. It’s a good way to get familiar with printers, customer service, and graphic design at a young age. The coworkers I had were excellent, and indeed a fun group of people to work with. They were the only reason that I stayed as long as I did. If you have been there for years, you will be absolutely fine, but if you are newer to the department, a lot of the mistakes and problems would be pinned onto you, even if it has nothing to do with you. You will also be working alone in the department 99% of the time, and be the only person who is familiar with the equipment. You have to have really tough skin and be an extremely good problem solver. There were multiple occasions where it was very clear I was not appreciated for the amount of work I put into the job. Problems that are brought up to management are brushed under the rug, and supervision will get a slap on the wrist. The department was also understaffed, and it was very rare that you would be able to take days off, especially weekends. This position will also not give you a ton of hours. There were points when I worked barely 18 hours a week. Overall, I would be wary of this position. It is a very good start in the graphic design and printing world and a fun group of people to be around, in exchange for some -

Worst job ever in customer service

Previous company corporate express was a good place to work. Once staples bought the company it became truly awful . We had to accrue our vacation/medical/sick time. Vacation time was competitive- only one person could be off at the same time even during slow periods. Pay was docked for every minute late. Had to log off everything to visit the restroom-paid by the minute

Fair for retail

Easy job as far as retail if you can handle a very metric-focused environment. The job continues to get harder for goals to meet and there’s a lot of things to ask customers for, but overall it’s not bad.

Good company

Nice place to work. I am always happy to come into work and give my best here because the managers are very respectful and appreciate you if you're a hard worker.

Flexible but low pay

Job is pretty flexible with your schedule but interactions with customers can be very long and stressful. There’s a ton of services to learn and remember. There is a lot of micro management as well.

Decent pay, decent hours, good work life balance. Get to work by yourself. Pretty good management. Good benefits. Not very good raises but everything else good. Would work here again.

Good place

Good place to start in sales. They do train the new employees well and managers try to make them feel welcome. Although the other staffs arent that welcoming.

Upper management sucks

Upper management sits in the back while everyone else works. They only chime in to tell people to get back to work and have no idea what's happening in the store. They seem to want everyone to work and never have a conversation meanwhile they spend the day talking about in their office. They don't pull their own weight, causing everyone else to be stretched thin. Speaking to other associates confirms this to not just be a personal grudge.

Worst Management Ever

After failing to train me on anything, the manager blamed me for not knowing what to do. Poor communication throughout the staff and poor treatment. Worst job I ever had. Do not work here.

It's a job.

It's not a hard job but they they will underpay you. They're a cheap company with managers watching your every move. Want you to work the entire store for the same price as just cashier

my local management was horrible and unprofessional

i liked my little print and marketing team but was unimpressed by all other management. cursing and throwing things in back room, talking bad about employees both in front of them and customers and behind backs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Staples