Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Employee Reviews for Specialist

Specialist20 reviews

Disorganized Company

Great pay, but the job is so boring I don’t know if it’s worth it sometimes. Sometimes I feel like I’m in a dead end job. Principal does not take care of their good employees

Training program sucks.

Leaves you feeling unprepared. Decent pay that comes with a ton of stress. Trainers are just that, trainers. I feel the level of financial literacy required to feel confident here needs a real teacher.

Nice pay but management sucks

It pays great and you’ll enjoy working there at first. But then they start changing rules and accept you to accommodate right away. They expect you to wrap up calls in 1 minute and time you for everything you do. If you don’t meet their 90% average for adherence you will face multiple warnings. Doesn’t matter if you’re experiencing system issues and even have tech vouch for you.

Pros

Pay is good, nice bonuses

Cons

Management, stressful

Run, don’t walk

Sure the pay and benefits seem great, but when you’re glued to a phone you get overwhelmed. This company has micromanagement issues. I started to jump every time I got a phone call.

Pros

Pto

Cons

Literally everything

Good healthcare corporate not for me

Training is long for the call center for 401k. 5 weeks of training and then you study for SIE exam. There are different shifts but limited to what you want starting out because you are ranked low and they don’t know how well you will preform. Compensation was okay but healthcare/benefits are nice. You can advance after a year or so being there. It was tough since I transitioned from Wells Fargo and to retrain, it was exhausting.

Pros

Manager nice, career advancement

Cons

Mandatory OT, hourly wage, Short breaks, customers aren’t nice because it is a call center

N/a

Work life balance is amazing. However, I cannot say that I recommend this company. There are a lot of changes that need to be made. I wouldn't say Principal is a terrible company to work for; as I won't blame an entire company for a few bad apples on the tree. There just needs to be changes made.

Pros

Great work life balance

Cons

Misleading job title & position...

Retirement specialist is actually just a poor soul that is a customer service rep that will get yelled at/berated/swore at for 8 hours a day. You have about 1 minute & 40 seconds between each call and that is all you do. Principal has moved all phone reps work from home permanently, which is nice. But this job is lonely because you only talk to your manager about once a month. The only interactions you have with your coworkers is through IM while you’re on calls with a customer. The pay rate is good but not worth your mental sanity.

Pros

Good benefits, decent PTO gain rate

Cons

No support from management

Work/Life balance is a joke.

I’ve worked for this company for 4 years. Great pay and benefits, but Principal is turning into Wells Fargo in a hurry. Not in a good way. Employees are not valued. There is NO work/life balance at all. Getting time off for anything - doc appointments, emergencies, deaths in the family. No time off is ever approved. Principal is a joke and managers are heartless.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else

Retirement Specialist II

They wont mention that this position is strictly a call center position. You go through about of an 8 weeks training before you go on the phones. Typical day would include meeting performance goals with call handle times and after call time. You have scheduled times for lunches and breaks to read emails, which also have to adhere to performance/time goals. All of these goals go into consideration for promotion and getting shift bids that you want so that can add on to the stress of being in a call center.

Pros

Benefits, Pay

Cons

Short breaks/lunches, Shift can change up to 2 times a year, very stressful

Fast paced, but difficult

Fast paced and challenging. Information you're required to learn is difficult and the teachers give little help. The test you must take in order to retain your employment will make or break you.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Principal Financial Group?

Good place to build a career

The management here is so laid back and nice. They explained everything before orientation and took the time to find out about me and what I was looking for in a job. The training was top notch and very thorough. I enjoyed this job a lot.

Pros

Wide variety of lunch options, gym access and memberships, great benefits

Cons

Parking isn't the best

Good Employees, Not so Great Management

This company only hires and advances those who play into their politics. They want employees to be open and honest but when they are they punish them but not advancing them or saying they have a bad attitude. I scored 104% of my goal this year and was just “average” at performance review time.

Pros

Employees

Cons

Corporate job with benefits and nice work environment

I enjoyed working at the Principal Financial Group for 10 years. I bounced around a couple different roles and some areas are better than others. Principal has really embraced the work/life balance model in recent years by getting rid of PTO and replacing it with FTO. Collaborating with other employees was the most enjoyable part of the job, as well as the amenities such as a gym, food services, and upgraded technology. The workplace culture is great; however, recent morale may be going downhill as there have been many job cuts in the last 6 months since Financials are hurting.

Pros

Cons

Unstable environment right now

friendly and stressful

I worked for Principal for a very long time and have been gone for fourteen years. During my time, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and working with a lot of different people from lots of different cultures and nationalities. I found that to be a real privilege for me. The management people that I worked for strived to be fair.

Pros

friendly

Cons

high stress

Many employees, just a number

The computer monitors your every process. There are stats how productive you are, causing you to be a scorecard, not a person. Managers favored the better scorecards employees but were not concerned about the human connection.

One star!

I was told if I had nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. If you wanted to advance in the company you had to relocate to another city. That ment moving to Des Moines, Iowa where the home office is located.

Excellent Work/Life Balance and overall great place to work

Many excellent aspects to working for PFG including Training, Coaching and Management. If you perform well in your position advancement is a given. Productivity is a secondary concern but if you are within all other metrics the productivity will be there.

Drama drama drama

This job was terrible. All your manager cares about is whether or not you make them look good. I was treated terribly. I was picked on even though I was making my goals and numbers. The team that I was on is known for being a dramatic team who chooses to 1 perosn to pick on at all times no matter how good at their job they are. I went to HR and my manager's manager about how I was treated and nothing was done. Principal does not care about their employees.

Horrible place to work

This place was advertised as family friendly and that couldn't be further from the truth. I have never been treated so badly in my life!! I got written up for falling down the stairs and going to get an ultrasound because I was 7 month pregnant, I got written up because I was using the bathroom too often (pregnant), I was scolded and forced to schedule well-baby check-ups. Think twice before jumping on this one folks...it will be the worse decision of your life!!!

Pros

Okay pay

Cons

horrible place

Nice place to work and with great people

I loved my job at Principal. Hated to quit but with a sick adult daughter that had a rare blood disease and personal problems, I felt it was in my best intrests to quit. I miss it though, especially the insurance.

Pros

benefits, and a great working atmosphere. great people, some of whom i still miss seeing every day.

Cons

hard to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Principal Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Principal Financial Group
  • Specialist
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?