Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Employee Reviews

Not enough training

I like the company overall.I do not like the amount of training. I barely had any training and am supposed to answer questions all day long. It's intimidating.

Buen ambiente laboral es buena hay que mejorar procesos

Es buena solo que no exijan tanto y que pongas menos candados para ganar bono

Pros

Prestaciones de ley

Cons

Sueldo

Run

Run away. They mislead you on the job postings and your job will drastically change when you get there. Rushed training and no one is there to help once you’re out of training. All they care about is people on the phones, but you’re not properly trained to help clients. They have 7 systems where you can find information. Super unorganized.

Pros

They need people more than you need them. So you won’t get fired!

Cons

No flexibility, treat you like a child, culture isn’t what it use to be.

Short staffed

Constantly short staffed. Overworked and underpaid. Training is either non existent or severely lacking. Merit increases are not in line with the market. Really sad place to be as everyone is overworked and has low morale.

Pros

Most jobs are remote or hybrid remote.

Cons

Poor training No work/life balance No support from upper management

The team I work on is great, upper level management and politics are not

I enjoy what I do and my team. However, the politics outside my team are petty. It's not about actually doing work, but who can lie and backstab others while making themselves look good. Also we seem to be loosing benefits instead of gaining them

Pros

FTO My team is great I enjoy what I do

Cons

Politics Seem to loose benefits instead of gaining them Upper management doesn't communicate well

Productive fast paced

Great company to work for, a lot of areas for growth. Everyone is kind and nice and willing to help if you don’t know something. Great work life balance

Very Flexible work/life balance

Day to day tasks were pretty straight forward and support was always there when needed. Management made sure you had everything you needed to learn.

Pros

Cons

Meticulous

Lots of job security with much overtime required at times

The job is okay and is learnable. The position duties are broad and take a while to learn, which is good for learning new skills. I worked a similar role at a different company before this one and this job is an eye opener. I loved my old position better because there was less stress and more freedom and autonomy throughout your workday. We have a tracking system where you have to report what your activities were that day (what you were doing, how many, how long) If you like being micromanaged by a computer system you will love it here. Sometimes the workload can get out of hand MANY times throughout the year, so the positive is a lot of chances for overtime. The people (coworkers/leadership) are great and supportive, it's just the policies and rules of the company that are horrendous.

Pros

Job security, Opportunities to learn many topics

Cons

Terrible PTO accrual, Electronic Micromanage systems

We will see….

Principal was always known for its amazing culture, family feeling, people first. But it is changing more and more. Seems like sr leaders are out of touch with the needs of employees and especially during this pandemic.

Principal was a great place to work. They accommodated needs of employees as requested. Employees are able to use their PTO without issue. The work/life balance is good. Only reason I left was because they decided to get out of the healthcare industry.

Pros

Good pay, great cafeteria, great gym

Great place to work. Have loved it

Been there for 3 years and 6 months and it's great all around. Pay is below average due to where it's headquartered but is made up in the benefits. Leadership is awesome.

Used to be incredible, now they only care about money

All of the good employees are leaving because they keep give promotions to reps in the Philippines instead. The Philippines office was part of the acquisition of Wells Fargo and they simply have not been with principal long enough to be better than the tenured employees. So many delays and processing errors.

Pros

Pto, 401k, pension

Cons

Pay

Unfair

They forced overtime, you have four chances the skip forced overtime, after that fourth chance you will get occurrences and written up. If you want to take time off you have to schedule it three or four months in advance. The management does not stand up for their employees. When you get ridiculed and demeaned on the phones you have to say thank you and take it you are not allowed to defend yourself in a nice way without getting written up. Because the job is remote oh, you do not talk to anybody. You have Microsoft teams but there are so many phone calls so much forced overtime but you never have time to talk to your team. You don't get to know the people that you work with. Your manager barely speaks to you, when they do have a one-on-one it's normally because of something that you did wrong.

Cons

Forced overtime, not being able to get time off work we needed

Excelente empresa

Muy seria agradable recomiendo a todos los buenos y excelentes ejecutivos trabajar ahí me encantó la presa

Pros

Seguros premios por metas capacitación

Cons

Mucho trabajo

Excelente

Empresa con buenas prestaciones excelente líderes !!

I love working at Principal and helping retirees. They are the sweetest people.

Enjoyable position assisting members with their plans. They trully are easy to work with. I enjoy helping our members. Supervisors are encouraging. Co workers are helpful.

Pros

Provide equipment healthcare. Work from home remotely

Attractive benefit package but not allowed to use it

My biggest disappointment is being drawn in by Principal's generous benefit package and promises of advancement.. You're not actually allowed to use your PTO when you need it for sickness, doctor's appointments, sick kids, etc without getting an occurrence. PTO is rarely approved and forget about using VTO. There is no work life balance and you're expected to work when sick especially during overtime. Highly insensitive during the pandemic. Apparently, that is only the case for this position because other employees in the same department in different positions brag about how generous and flexible their jobs have been. This job also picks at your self esteem and points out your flaws. Your quality results are put on display for the whole team to see which is way different than previous job. If you're not doing well, it's a way to shame you in front of others. I've seen people cry because of the pressure. The requirements seem a bit outdated and rigid. The expectations and number of applications required to do this entry level job are unreal. My last similar position at a different company paid less with less benefits but at least you could use your PTO, take care of yourself, family and have a life without fear of losing your job. And the job was much easier and less stressful. You're just a number on the page here and treated as insignificant because of your role. The department only cares about numbers and speed and doesn't see you as a person. Even if your quality and adherence is great if you're a minute too slow it is unacceptable and threatened with termination. -

Pros

Work from home option

Cons

Valueless benefits, favoritism.

great place to work

good work life balance. compensation can better for retaining employees.Good office.workload - depends on your teamfun activities are organized on regular basis

Pros

team parties, breaks, work life balance, learning opportunities, job security

Cons

compensation

Mal ambiente de trabajo

No hay cultura organizacional, todo es para ayer, en el área de TI desconocen como funciona el negocio propiciando regaños; por ende caen regaños innecesarios en lugar de enseñar los más experimentados a como solucionar el problema

Pros

salario

Cons

No tendrás tiempo para ti

Fantastic place to work full of good people, but pay is really low.

I honestly love working at Principal Financial Group. My team is excellent, the tech stack is awesome. But the pay is so much lower than literally everywhere else I've seen. Management is totally disconnected with what we are working on. I'm 100% confident my boss absolutely no idea what I'm working on at any given time. The work/life balance is good. I only work 40 hours a week and am rarely expected to do more than that. It's difficult to get promoted, especially when management has no clue what you're working on, so how can they possibly know the impact you're having?

Pros

Smart people, flexibility, low stress, lots of learning opportunities

Cons

pay is far below average, clueless middle management

Su ambiente de trabajo es bueno

Los jefes te brindan ayuda, capacitaciones seguidas, colaboración de tus compañeros cuando tienes algún cliente difícil

Pros

Solo cuentas con Imss, seguro de vida

Cons

No hay contras, pues tu decides que hacer con tu tiempo

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Principal Financial Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Principal Financial Group