New Hanover Regional Medical Center

New Hanover Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Was a great place to work with great benefits

Was a great place to work with great benefits, but with the Novant Health buyout our benefits are awful. Waiting to see what structural changes NH will make to our department once the 2 year freeze is over. Not competitive salaries for our field leads to short staffing and constant burnout. I do enjoy the people I work with daily and appreciate efforts by our immediate coordinators to ensure a happy work life.

Great place to work that really takes care of their employees

Great place to work and they take care of their employees! Awesome benefits package and positive team environment to work in. Good balance between work and home is encouraged and management supports and listens to staff.

Great workplace

Everyone is very receptive to new people and travelers. Very willing to help without acting like it is an inconvenience. They make scheduling easy and work schedules are on you phone and work email. There is an app for your phone to help guide you throughout the building.

The people and culture outstanding

Great place to work. Organization developed a culture of collaboration across the organization. This started at the Executive level and embraced throughout the organization.

Not much room for growth. People promoted based on favortism and not skillset. A lot of unhappy people there. No diversity in leadership. Systemic racisim very present

Culture of Leadership Check-Up Needed

NH NHRMC strongly promotes their culture, mission, vision and values, unfortunately some management are quite the opposite of what their mission states. My experience was that certain management created such a discriminatory environment that a reasonable person would find so abusive or intimidating that it impacted the ability to work. Confidentiality, trust and professionalism severely lacked. Attrition and employee engagement metrics seemed to be overlooked. Deceptive, under performers received promotions. My advice to a prospective employee would be to try a get a gauge on department attrition, pay attention to how the team interacts together while you're interviewing. As long as your department has good leadership, this is a great organization to work with the very best medical providers.

Nurse to patient ratio is ridiculous. Hospital has unrealistic expectations.

Salaried nurses work many hours of overtime weekly but get no compensation. Upper management out of touch with what is occurring at the hospital and don’t seem to care.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Upper management absent.

Over worked. CNAs are under paid.

CNAs make as much as EVS and the Cafeteria staff. I realize all jobs are important but if you need to go to school for it and have the responsibility of patient care and documentation you should make more. Also, they have self-scheduling, but you rarely get the schedule you scheduled yourself for. This becomes problematic when you have an appointment booked in advance or you're in school. HR is not there to help you period! They are there to protect the employer. NEVER FORGET THISBenefits are great. Mostly everything else...LMAO

Fair working environment, but I felt disposable

I worked here pre-pandemic and buy out from Novant, in cardiology departments. I liked my manager, but hands were often tied with administrators making decisions that constantly overruled staff and management decisions. Cardiology was different than med-surg Nursing and it was disappointing not to be lead by our amazing Chief Nursing Officer, but instead treated differently.

i did not like management very disorganized don’t listen to staff

management plays favorites doesn’t listed to staff not willing to try new things staff been there so long they are not flexible or willing to try new ideas

Pros

Cons

all

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at New Hanover Regional Medical Center?

All in all it's a good place to work.

I like to be able to take care of my patients, They make my job worth all my time here. I work alot of hours and I love what I do. I would like to have more freedom to choose my hours, but that is not always possible.

Pros

Great Benefits

Great place to work.

The staff works well together and all are willing and able to lend a hand when needed. Management is conscientious in oversight but not micromanaging.

Pros

Great staff and management.

Cons

Weekend staffing is sometimes a challenge for the acuity and quantity of patients.

Mediocre management and sinking ship.

The lab staff turnover rates are astronomical and have been for some time. Communication between departments is nonexistent. Inefficient, unnecessary new protocols are implemented constantly. Negligent employees that jeopardize patient care and impede others’ ability to do their jobs are allowed to continue working due to favoritism and lack of staff. Pay is stagnant. Management is checked out and unconcerned with urgent problems concerning lab equipment, since they are so out of touch with the clinical side. No matter how much effort you put into separating your work and home life, it WILL eventually get to you. The low pay is not worth the stress and overexertion that is expected of you. You will be expected to do two people’s jobs at once and only acknowledged if reprimanded. In addition, you are expected to clean up others’ messes and are blamed if you don’t catch them. Company is going downhill fast but doesn’t seem to care.

Pros

snacks in break room sometimes

Cons

Nonexistent work-life balance, overwhelming workload, short staffing, nonresponsive to complaints

Steady work

Good place for entry level phlebs. It’s better if you live close to NHRMC. Most google reviews about NHRMC are accurate. Some managers are better than others. Some are completely tone deaf.

Pros

Steady work

Cons

Management needs restructuring.

Bad Laboratory Management

Overall hospital management is fine, but laboratory management is poor. They choose favorites and create jobs for those they like. Whenever a position opens they already know who they want to pick for the position, so any other interviews will be for show.

Pros

The job pays money.

Ok

Really should focus on retention. They say the same thing every year, but little progress is made in it. They seem to skirt around what is truly needed in order to keep people. Compensation and nurse/patient ratios are at the top. Long term investment in the staff, the ones that are actually part of the community for which they serve, should be more focal. Instead of following other hospitals "competitively" in the compensatory department, why not lead?

Pros

Stable

Cons

No breaks, work-life balance is non existent, take things away and then give a little back to show how lucky you should feel, living by the beach does not pay your bills.

Not a healthy or safe working environment

Critically understaffed facility with unsafe nurse to patient ratios. The work in the conditions you are expected to perform in are not compensated in your pay at all. Administration continues to push out mandates and policy changes regularly which has driven many to leave, not such a smart thing to do when your facility is already short staffed.

Don't work here if you want to keep your license

Extremely stressful work environment. Always understaffed and charge is always in staffing. Often did not get any breaks. No laws against high ratios. Very poor pay, not worth it.

Pros

They have very good benefits

Cons

No breaks, always short staffed, charge nurse always in staffing. Unsafe work conditions and unsafe ratios

Great Place to work

Great people, quality of care is amazing. Everyone helps everyone. It’s a family environment. I absolutely love this jib and would recommend anyone to work here.

Pros

Employee appreciation program, great coworkers

Cons

Pay isn’t good at all

Productive job and happy atmosphere

I enjoy working for NHRMC. My position is pretty straightforward and it’s a great hospital to work for. My coworkers are awesome and we always help one another out!

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Pay could be better

Great management

Lucky to have a fantastic manager, ratios are appropriate most of the time for my specialty unit, pay is not great, the only hospital in town and annual raises for nurses are minuscule. Self scheduling and most of time we get the schedule we want, only required on my unit to work every 3rd weekend.

Pros

Self scheduling

Cons

Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?