Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

Showing all 9,768 reviews

Mediocre experience

Understaffed at times, would call for backup and no one would help. Management rarely appreciated the hard work that we put in, but overall not a horrible place to work

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Scheduling

Disorganized and unprofessional

The management at the store seems unprofessional and disorganized. There is little leadership and people seem to be under-qualified for their jobs. There’s too much responsibility and workload for employees because they’re understaffed.

Very fun place to work but the pay isn't great

I worked at Michaels during my senior year of high school and I enjoyed it a lot. All the employees were super nice and I made many friends and good memories. The pay is very bad though and some people were getting paid more even though they were there for a shorter period of time. They also rarely give raises.

Pros

Friendly, good management usually, fun

Cons

Bad pay, no raises, unfair

Poor management store level and upper management

This used to be a fun company to work for. The employees try to do their best with little to no training but Management doesn't know what they are doing even after years in the job. This company doesn't care about it's employees. I felt taken advantage of ,used and screwed over by the store manager for their personal gain with the help of the DM.

Understaffed

Understaffed and low hours. I got about 15 hours max usually less. Typical retail job not hard just stressful as so many customers need help and no staff available.

Learned a lot, but poor management.

It was an okay place to work but had very poor management. I was often not allowed to go home even when my worktime was over. There was also a lot of gossiping at the shop and it wasn't good.

Bad management, good coworkers

I found this to be a stressful work environment where staff weren’t valued by management and policies weren’t always followed. Most customers and coworkers were nice though.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Bad management

Great for a first job ever

Never worked in your life? Michaels is ideal if you aren't super concerned about getting high pay and just wanting the experience to build yourself up. There's a weird mix of needing to get things done quickly and being relaxed during your shift. Sure, you need to complete your task at a reasonable time but also they aren't barking at you if you can't manage all the time. Company is especially good if you have social anxiety. And plenty of opportunities to try everything out apart from what you originally signed up for. It is not a serious workplace so you don't have to stress so much! Team gets a little getting warming up to but the majority of them are funny people to work with. The hardest bit about the job however is trying to complete your duties within the companies semi-unrealistic expectations. (ex.: complete an X hour job in 2 hours or less.)As an overnight stocker, your job is to help unload the truck into what we call "boats", then put away as many items as you can while taking care of any overstock. The goal is to clear out the storage room from as much product as possible for the next truck night (which is once a week, twice if its a big holiday season). Most times it can't be done in a night, so you'll most likely be called in in the morning to continue putting things away (and take the opportunity to help customers who need help; there is no avoiding this :^] ).Regardless, after a while, you'll get the hang of it and realize it aint half bad.

Pros

Employee discount, optional opportunity for different areas in the store

Cons

Few work hours, odd scheduling

It was a ok job

Can make decent money while working here. However when it's peek season expect to be working 10 hours sometimes . However I didn't like how they was change the schedule on us at times and would ask at the end of a friday shift for people to come in on our off days .

Exhausting work place

The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of the job tasks I would be required to complete during a shift since I would get to work on a shift assigned as a cashier but instead, the manager on duty would inform me that my tasks were mainly cleaning the registers, wiping the walls and scrubbing all the existing grime around and on the doors. This was a surprise to me since none of these tasks were explicitly stated as part of my job upon getting hired.

Pros

Free baked goods made by fellow staff

Cons

Terribly management

They grade you as a cashier

Michaels has been one of the worst places I’ve ever worked. They grade you as a cashier, meaning they have quotas to me. So if you’re not getting enough new sign ups for their rewards program, you’re going to get reprimanded. A lot of the equipment didn’t work at my location and I would get reprimanded for helping the customer anyways. A lot of it seemed very backwards and the location I was at wasn’t managed very well .

Pros

Discount

Cons

Short breaks, no breaks sometimes, pressure to perform

Not great

Incredibly understaffed. Pressures coming from managers regarding reward sign ups, speed, etc. Mostly solo work. Truck shifts are the worst, especially if you have a regular schedule on top of it.

chill

working at michaels is what you expect it to be. it is chill and easy. i liked the people i worked with they made it better. it is kinda boring though

Great starting job

The hours were long and you had to work weekends but it was a nice discount if you are a crafter. Benefits were ok. Raises and reviews were inconsistant.

Chaotic Workplace

Really depends on what store location you work at, mine was just complete chaos. Rules and regulations always changing, management always changing, and when a customer verbally abuses you like it happened to me barely anything was done. Lady was just told not to come back after still getting service. Hopefully it's better now than it use to.

Pros

Good Coworkers, Easy Job Tasks

Cons

Management, Pay

Alright

Manager was inconsistent with scheduling and would often not inform me of changed start times when trucks were late. It was alright if you only need 8 hrs of work a week. Not livable, but easy fun job

Hr

The hr manager is a mean person that doesn't care about her employees and uses workplace intimidating as a tactic same with the loss prevention/safety manager I would not suggest this place as a company to move up in they are all about favorites

Versatile

This was my first job so there was trial and error. I was a bit sensitive to the managing skills, but I learned to focus on my tasks more than anything. I suggest this job to the creative community who is knowledgeable in the stores products; a patient mind will benefit you with many skills with this job.

Pros

Flexible hours with lunch

Cons

Little to know breaks

Idk

Employees are great and customers are too. You have to maintain the store stock clean. You help customers and fill propane tanks and RVs upon customers request.

Fun place to work

Management is always supporting growing career. Great benefits offered by the company including PTO, 401K match, sample sales, medical plans and much more.

Customers engagement

I enjoyed working at Michael.I loved the engagement of the customers throughout my years n the difference classroom Event the Michael offer Weekly so they can share their knowledge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Michaels
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?