McLane Company

McLane Company Employee Reviews

Showing all 2,936 reviews

Weight your options

Hard work but good money. Long hours and bad management. Overall company can be good for your personal life because of the money you can make. Good equipment also.

Pros

Good money and benefits

Cons

Poor management.

Poor management

Poor management. Management does not care about employees. Brand new employees easily catch up in pay to long time employees due to never increasing pay cap

Good pay hard work

If you don’t have a family or don’t mind to be away for a little while it’s a good paying job. But your home time won’t be good and you’ll be out more than 12 hours every run you take. But again if you don’t mind that and driving in NYC and Long Island this job pays great and can easily make good money here.

Terrible management/ machinery

I’ve never worked in a warehouse poorly managed like this place. Not to mention the machinery is terrible and they plan on not getting them fixed. I advise going some place else before working here.

Poor place to work

Poor management , poor communication, poor schedule…. No work life balance very bad equipment.Warehouse doesn’t know how to properly load, late starts.

Just wasn't for me

If your a hard working individual then go ahead and work for mclanes if not then I recommend go somewhere else. Normal night strated with all the selectors coming in at 12 - 12:30 AM at night, we have our nightly meeting about how much we have and anything else going on that's important, then we go off and start the night. I was a single sell selector that worked in the freezer so consistently dealing with -20 degree temps. Would get a stack of the overall pieces for the night for the freezer from the office then bring it in with us to the freezer and pull a stack for one location then set some totes up and go and pull product that was needed. I quit cause the rate they set you at after 3 months was too had for me to reach and maintain. Wouldn't know what time you ever got off but knew when you would come in. Overall didn't have a good experience with McLane. Wouldn't recommend unless your a workaholic or don't mind killing yourself for your job.

Over worked

McLane is an amazing company lots of consistent work but extremely over worked the schedule is terrible the hours are way too long the schedule is just horrible if this can be like a 3am/4am or even 5am start time and decent time off be a good job but it’s a lot of second and 3rd shift

Pros

Benefits and pay

Cons

No breaks always on the go and terrible schedules

Bad management

Do not become a loader at this company you will be overworked and constantly told to hurry up. I would only apply for forklift position but that's just me.

Daily work

You put in 18 to 22 hours but only get paid by pieces, miles and stops. If you take a vacation day they only pay you for 10 hours which is not even half of what you work. The amount of pay if you take a day off is lot less than what you get if working(for example my route pays me 665 a day but if I take a day off I only get 340) if you have a route. If not than you would be on stand by every day and must answer you phone. Otherwise you don’t get the minimum 1500 a week. They tell you you only work every other day but in reality you work everyday without any days off. They only care about the load getting out and not the drivers.

Fun

Usually make a minimum of $1850 a week during colder months, average closer to $2200 weekly, averages out to about $42 an hour. Dispatch will help you make as much as you want to make but can feel overworked sometimes

Productive but Clicky

The DC that I work in is so unorganized. The managers are not professional. Everyone talks about one another. This distribution center is 3rd last in the Mclane company. It’s good experience for people who want to stay in logistics/retail but there’s no growth in that distribution center.

If you don't mind long busy days, not a bad place

The company is a grocery distributor that supplies a few super stores, but mostly gas stations with grocery and general merchandise product (i.e. buckets, brooms, mops, oil, washer fluid, etc.). From March to July, it's fairly straight forward, usually around 7-8 hour days, but from August to February, you usually work anywhere from 9-12 hour days that are very heavy with pallets and a lot of heavy products (mostly ice melt and washer fluid) that have to delta with by hand. If you work anywhere in the warehouse, most of the time you will be handling products by hand (ie loading carts, building pallets, loading trailers from carts or small pallets). The biggest complaint I have is that a lot of the equipment is not properly maintained and breaks, and then it takes a long time for them to be repaired (personal example, there are lights and fans at the doors for loading that I personally informed multiple supervisors and the maintenance department about for months, that when I left were still not fixed). There are a lot of good people that work there currently and it can be a good place to work.

Pros

A lot of events that keep the employees engaged and try to make them feel appreciated.

Cons

A lot of broken/damaged equipment that takes a long time to get even looked at.

wasted my time

I hired on for a new satellite terminal in the Green Bay area. Two day orientation was in southern WI. I received emails confirming my orientation date and time. When I showed up I wasn't on the list, that got straightened out but things went downhill from there.The first day was ok except that some instructors seemed lost. The lunch with management was weird.The second day instructors came and went with long gaps in between. I was sent for range of motion evaluation and when i came back I proceeded with the computer instruction. The instructor left the room and 45 minutes later I had enough and left.When I had questions for HR they weren't answered. The driver management team struck me as disinterested as well.I emailed the lead manager letting him know why I left and didn't hear back from him. Three weeks later I got a voicemail from an asst mgr. wanting to get going on my training. I didnt bother calling back. Three months later I got a voicemail from someone in the company asking where I wanted my Thanksgiving turkey sent...Wow! I could say more but what's the point.

Pros

Cons

My post says it all.

not a good workingenvironment

I worked there for. 16 years.I did a great job and the leadership there is 2 faced.it used to. e good when I started now the leadership cares nothing for the employes only what you can do for the company and they let people that have been there a long time do whatever they want.no respect for the individual and it is sad.I feel I had wasted 16 years of my life there.i wo I ld never recommend them to noone.

Decent pay! terrible management

Pallets hanging for dear life! you are expected to fix it! which is fine but you will be fixing a damaged pallet all day every day and nobody is ever hold accountable! I could go on for days what’s wrong with Mclane NJ but nobody would care or listen!

Good pay but has it’s issues

Good pay but has it’s issues like any other place and not many people are happy with the company when they leave it seems like and it doesn’t seem like many favor the new DC manager

Great pay but fast paced and hard work.

You can make a lot of money if you work hard. Fast paced and very physical. You don't get paid by the hour so if you take you're time you will make the same money and just get home later. Better to work fast efficient and get home earlier. If you respect the people you work with you will get the same respect back.

Over worked but great pay

Money is great but you definitely work for it. They have you run all night as a team and then blow up your phone while you sleep to force dispatch you. If you don’t wake up and answer then they threaten you. Dispatch is very aggressive.

Its not the Place its the people/supervisors dont have DiplomasI

People are Liars and I felt like i shouldve been gone from there alot of time wasted....,THEY dont care about the workers only what they can get out of them,If you have a problem its like talking to the wall noone in management listens to you as if they are so busy and all they do is sit in the office and talk about other teammates in front of teammates,nothing is confidential,OH IF YOU DO DRUGS DONT WORRY YOU WILL STILL GET HIRED

Pros

Free stale /cold coffee

Cons

work you like work horses

Great workplace

Great pay and work hours. Manager is great hardest part of job is the work load and sometimes scheduling I would recommend working for this company. Great benefits

Stay away

Bad managers, work you to death, no growth, no bonuses, and has been understaffed for years. If you work hard they will work you harder and let lazy people slide. They also let employees get drunk in the parking lot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at McLane Company. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• McLane Company