Higher Colleges of Technology logo
Higher Colleges of Technology

Higher Colleges of Technology Employee Reviews

family oriented environment

Its 8:00 to 3:00 job daily for five days. Responsible for the maintaining the AV systems, provide support for different types of events (meetings, lectures, classes, etc.). Arrange lectures and presentations for staff on usage of digital classrooms and other related duties.

The work place has become totally structured and lack innovation

Great students, great co-workers but a lack of innovative practices. Not enough forward thinking and fighting fires only.

Professional teaching environment

The campus is well equipped and well maintained to support teaching. Good benefits including high quality health care and housing. Supportive management and office staff. A great place to meet UAE locals and help them with their career objectives.

Pros

Reasonable work load

Cons

minimal food services

productive and fun work place

Worked voluntarily during vacations and free time. Productive and fun work place. Got some practical experience required for my education.

Fast-paced workplace with supportive team

Even though I haven't been with HCT for a long time, I've learnt a lot and I feel this experience will help me further my teaching career. I found my team, together with the head of the department, extremely supportive and friendly. Work week involved 20 contact hours across five classes of mainly female students. The most challenging part was related to frequent policy changes.

Pros

Supportive team

Cons

Frequent policy changes

Unhealthy workplace

This place is absolutely horrible, confidentiality is breached. Employee hack computers, there is microphone and camera in Counselling room, which I discovered later on.

Great Experience

After 15 years of working at the HCT, i used to be very independant and work on different projects, simultaneously, from working for the Executive Director of Planning and Institutional Effectiveness, to the entire department needs were handled by me. Scheduling, accreditation visits, arranging hotels, airline tickets, scheduling interviews with the 17 campuses across the UAE, arranging meetings, answering calls and queries, Purchase requests, processing and getting quotations and arranging for the LPO's and deliveries. Worked on a project called the ABU DHABI INDUSTRY AWARDS, wherein in the last two years i was working all by myself in securing sponsorships, talking to CEO's of various Major Company's in 7 months time, i had secured 1.25 million dhs, which is used for the graduating students that have excelled in various fields. Arranging and scheduling interviews for the Director, etc. Communicating with Accreditors from around the world i have a list of all i have been doing but not sure if i could attach it somewhere. I have been pioneer of the major conferences we have organized, e-Ducation Without Borders" Festival of Thinkers" Global Medical Forum, wherein, i had to deal with Nobel Laureates, Thinkers, CEO's, Prince and Princess's from around the World. I have worked very hard at times, with sleepless nights, when the responsibility required it, enjoyed it to the fullest. Most of these conferences were always a team work. The management has always appreciated all the dedication no doubt.

Pros

i have enjoyed the responsibility entrusted to me

Cons

i was always on call and could be contacted off work as well on the mobile

Unpredictable and too often unprofessional work place.

Work week of 20 hours of teaching, plus prep time. Learn to fly under the radar. Co-workers were excellent. Students were wonderful. Abusive and unprofessional administration, including unethical, immoral, and illegal activities.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Big brother atmosphere

nil

 Office Assistant at Chancellor’s Office and Vice Chancellor’s Office.  Attend incoming telephone calls and transfer the calls to concerned staff or take messages and relay to them while they are out of office.  Receive and distribute daily internal mail from all colleges to respective staff as well as send the outgoing daily mail to the colleges.  Receive tender and contracts from the supplier and give them necessary information and note the details of the tender received.  Take care of the cleaning and security services on a daily basis and give the staff necessary instructions as per the system requirements.  Receive visitors and guests and direct them to the appropriate officers.  Check daily all the photocopiers, fax machine and printers in the system and fill paper for all the machines. Arrange maintenance of the office equipment whenever required.  Check and change the toner and cartridge for the photo copier, fax machine and printers.  Make photocopies and bind tender documents for Purchasing Department when required.  Check the stationery stock and order it when it is required from the supplier and distribute to the staff as per their needs.  Check the kitchen items every day. Supply the items to the kitchen and maintain the stock.  Make the necessary arrangements for tea, coffee and water for the meetings as per the staff instruction.  Collect and deliver documents from Central Services and banks to Headquarters on urgent occasions.  Provide support to all staff whenever required to ensure the smooth functioning -

Pros

nil

Cons

nil

Educational enrichment

To work with HCT is truely a privilege. My supervisors & direct management are very cooperative and we share a great teamwork. I developed a great compassion towards dealing with Students & Staff in their routine work.

Pros

Senior Management is approachable

Cons

Work timings changed from 7-3 changed to 8-4

Jobs at Higher Colleges of Technology

See more jobs

Education and young generation

Dealing with students inside and outside the classroom, class management, student management, student life, the role as an educator and how it impacts on new generation. The most enjoyable part when you feel the appreciation on your students eyes, the hardest part when you have to deal with uncommitted students. Having community activities, with the students, organizing for events, charity, sports, social...etc

Pros

Multicultural

Cons

Long days

One of the best places I have ever worked in

In the HCT started my career as faculty of electronics. I progressed to the Head of Department due to my contributions to the culture of the colleges and changes i introduced to the education systems and community relationships.

Pros

Rich learning environment

Cons

Management politics

It was good to take part in educating the future citizens of the UAE

A shift always started by reading the log book and at the same time checking E-mails. There at learned on how to maintain a proper and professonal counter attitude. Management of work at the counter, while dealing with the customers was a difficult one at first and then I got used to it and it became an easy task to me. My coworkers have always been a good support during my training days and my other collegue at counter, always helped me as I helped them while we were given other related tasks to be completed.

Pros

Government company

Cons

nationalization, so less secured jobs

Not at all what it once was

The HCT has been in a continual state of change that seems to be taking it on a downward spiral for a a few years now. The benefit package is attractive and it used to have a good reputation but beyond that it has become a place to avoid. It seems to have lost its direction and even the students behave like they have lost their respect for it. Teacher moral has become very low.

Pros

Colleagues are great to work with

Cons

Poor and unsupportive management

Enjoy working

Working in a calm atmosphere to show ones professionalism.

Pros

Free food, Accommodation & transport

Cons

Health care

Nice place to work

A very nice place to live and work. However the management is clueless to what is going on with the sudents

Pros

great vacation time

Cons

incompetent managers

Educational institution

It is very good working at Higher Colleges of Technology. You get to learn more through various professional development sessions. You get a very good chance to work with professsional people and meet excellent educators from around the world.

great place to work with an edge

Very professional with great work and living conditions and always a degree of uncertainty but a place where people stay as long as they can in spite of the 3 year contracts. The work and life experience can be made or ruined by the management and workers in different colleges often have vastly different stories to tell.

Working in the Gulf

It is a good place to work as long as you are familiar with the local culture and customs; the Middle East is attractive and at the same time, very different culturally to be able to handle it. There are three great incentives to go and work there: first, the international faculty body and the immense wealth of experiences and knowledge each teacher brings to the workplace. Secondly, the student body could be your most fervent fan if you find the right approach to them and make an effort to learn about their culture - it's very important for them. Thirdly, the pay and benefits are among the best in the world, and the UAE in particular is a spectacular place with many dream travel destinations just a step away. I enjoyed all three of them to the full, and would gladly go back or work with students coming from this part of the world.

Pros

Excellent collegial atmosphere, intensive professional training

Cons

Climate, management practices at times

Productive work place with multi cultural environment.

A good place to work with Colleagues from various parts of the world. Able Management. Good guidance and encouragement from the Senior Management.

Good working culture

The Higher Colleges of Technology will be recognized as the best applied higher education institution in the United Arab Emirates, producing knowledgeable, innovative and skilled Emirati graduates that support the nation in pursuit of excellence.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Higher Colleges of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Higher Colleges of Technology