Higher Colleges of Technology

Higher Colleges of Technology Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
2.9Job Security & Advancement

Relaxed and happy place

Higher colleges of Technology is a big establishment. That means it can be hectic at times and each process might take longer sometimes. However, life in Abu Dhabi is quite expensive.

Good work environment & remuneration

The work environment is great and conducive to learning with lot of PD opportunities. Remuneration is on the higher side. Exposure to the latest technology & equipment

Pros

Good remuneration & learning environment

Productive and Self Motivating

HCT is a good training institution where you can enhance your skills and potential. Develop yourself in the process and learn to communicate/coordinate and blend with the different level of people and working culture.

An excellent organization to be part of, very matured and well qualified management.

Excellent organization, good environment, well managed, very competitive pay and perks. Good exposure of latest teaching technology and tools. An opportunity to work with multinationals without any racism. Best educational organization in Middle East.

HR is incompetent

Job description written around my 25 year experience resume could not have a better job to resume fit, but 6months it took to get an interview then interviewed with wrong job discription, so slow so much incompetent in HR glad I didn't get the Job and found a better position.. In some ways HR done me a favour.

Pros

It would have been interest position

Cons

HR clearly is a big issue

Productive Workplace

Higher Colleges of Technology was a very productive workplace with opportunities for professional development and career advancement. There was a great deal of networking involved

Fun Place

Learned a lot, interacted with many students, working there built me to learn many new thigns when it comes to customer service, I also learnt some skills regarding IT solutions.

A once great institution which has fallen into terminal decline

Recent structural changes have led to an atmosphere of management by fear. This was once the best place to work in the EFL world. The package was outstanding. Over the years this has gradually slipped and there appears to be little to attract someone who is serious about a career in education.

Pros

Cons

Micro-management

A very demanding job but had great colleagues to work with

HCT was a wonderful place to work in, I have a great experience and learned a lot of skills from so many people. The most valuable thing in HCT was work with such a huge diversity of people and all of them were great colleagues that I will miss forever. The hardest part of the job: it was overwhelming with no flexibility.

Pros

fast paste with great learning experience and good pakage

Cons

long hours, very demanding

Great colleagues

Great students, good working environment which is very well resourced. Excellent salary and benefits package. Choice of accommodation and freedom to live where you want. Opportunity for great life style

Pros

Good health insurance. Excellent salary

fun

nice facility, nice work habits, I really enjoyed it , friendly management , very structured system to work with, nice team and management, place for promotion

Pros

good facility

Cons

heavy work load

Productive and multi-cultural workplace

Excellent professional development workshops and sessions Excellent support to admin. and faculty Resource availability On-going learning Well-deserved diversification at work

Oppressive environment with autocratic management.

Firstly remember where you are. You have to be very careful what you say and definitely never put anything in writing. There is an extreme culture of fear and a total lack of transparency in the college culture. Even if lower management and your line manager may be nice enough on a daily basis they will never make suggestions, voice faculty opinions in meetings or support staff in any way for fear of loosing their jobs. Staff are dismissed without warning and no reason ever given - there is no job security and no respect for faculty or admin staff. Secondly, if you are any kind of educational professional then you must remember to leave your standards behind. This can be difficult at first and will cause problems. The Emirati students may be friendly enough and easy going but he are not particularly hard working or studious. The expect full marks for everything and want to come and go as they please. if this does not happen they attempt bullying intimidation and will complain about you in an attempt to get you sacked. Remember they are the locals and have the power not you. It is a sharp leaning curve when you first arrive. Courses and the curriculum change all the time, sometimes mid-semester! Everything is always for a quick fix or for someone higher up to make some money out of the colleges. Never to do with teaching and learning and never with any consultation. Although like most places of work you will meet some great colleagues the working environment overall is toxic! My advice - stay well clear; there is more to life than money!

Pros

Reasonable salary and housing allowance.

Cons

Toxic environment. Callous, vindictive management. Hot and boring!

Excellent employer

Plenty of opportunities to develop professionally. The students are motivated and the teaching staff are highly professional. Strongly recommended as a place to work

Pros

Excellent students

Cons

No secure job and no career promotion

No secure job and no career promotion The students are slow and many changes in curriculum that make no sense and does not add any value to education Teacher are overloaded with work and no time for research Many administrative changes that make no sense. Hard work is not seen

Pros

Friendly teachers

Cons

Overload with no time for research, administrative changes have had impact on teacher. Low salary, low children education allowance, low housing allowance. No security in salary and no respect for contract

Fun workplace

Helped professors with technical labs, and also helped with admin duties. The professors also helped me brush up on a lot of my engineering concepts.

Nice place. I enjoyed working there for six years

I enjoyed working there. It was a great experience and was able to contribute a lot towards the professional development of all students and graduates.

Pros

A great platform to outreach to companies

Cons

Tribal community

Love it there

I am still working with them in different projects as a freelancer. I do projects for the government, for airways and for the community. I love the atmosphere and the responsibilities as an Englis teacher. I also taught work skills and mathematics in one of their programs.

Pros

Good career

Cons

Nothing to mention

A typical day

There is a thumb in/thumb out system for attendance. Whilst bothersome, it doesn't affect the way I work. I think Faculty are given too many roles, but therein there are opportunities for greater experience. The Faculty are very professional.

Pros

Great salary

Cons

Long term employment is uncertain

Great place to work. If you are planning to develop your career is a good place to start. Management is great and they consider the people very well. Culture and people are excellent.

Great Place to work

Great place to work and specially with a wonderful colleagues with a great understanding boss. I always look forward to the next day to learn something new. After my boss decided to leave because he can't protect his own employees anymore, I got the feeling that I don't have any job security anymore....

Pros

understand boss

Cons

not much free time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Higher Colleges of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Higher Colleges of Technology