General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews for System Engineer

System Engineer15 reviews

Lack of growth and innovation

The company is great to work for when there are projects and the people are incredibly smart and supportive. However, there is a resistance to trying anything innovative and spend money on research and innovation

Might just be my department, but everyone was very helpful and willing to help others learn their role.

I would enter the office at around 8 AM every day and leave at 4-6, depending on the project. Much of the company is kept under wraps, so I cannot elaborate on the details of the different programs, but they were really cool. The hardest part about getting started was the sheer amount of information that you need to process; it's like drinking from a firehose, but the people in the company are always willing to help you learn the job. Some will even teach you about their own areas of expertise if you are interested.

Pros

Hours are very flexible, There is plenty of job mobility, Earned PTO, Plenty of company events, Free to work at your own pace for the most part, Cool programs, Plenty of different positions to move to in order to find the position for you, Matching 401k, Great healthcare coverage.

Cons

You are a government contractor, so you will deal with the government regularly. The company is extremely serious about time charging, there have been several firings for mischarging time.

August 23, 2022
We appreciate your taking the time to provide a review. Working on things that help keep our nation safe is definitely serious business and we work hard with our teams to ensure best practices are being used for everything we do.

Good pay but boring work

Good pay but boring work. Often times did not have enough work to fill my day with. Felt like it was a hurry up and wait mentality, but we had to charge our time to projects anyways.

May 6, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Working on mission-critical systems that help keep our nation safe will involve different types of work. If you have insights on how something can be improved, we would love to hear from you. Please reach out to TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

I feel well cared for working for GDMS. The nature of my work is fulfilling, and I plan to stay for many years.

Working for GDMS can best be described as flexible, challenging (in a good way), constructive, and fair. The company provides constant outlets to resolve issues, and higher management very much looks after the well being of their employees.

March 16, 2022
Thank you for your review and your loyalty. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work and we appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

Good work/life balance

Pretty low stress and lots of interesting work. Pay and benefits are strong but not really the best. Management doesn’t invest adequately in developing and retaining performers, probably due to tight budgets. Lots of great peers have left. Most internal processes are cumbersome and inefficient.

Pros

Stable work, flexible work plans, remote options

Cons

Management can be aloof, comp and promotions lag the industry

October 11, 2021
Thank you for your review. We annually review our compensation and benefits to ensure we are competitive. That said, input like yours can be an important part of driving change so if you have more feedback or ideas, please let us know: TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. Thank you.

Overall very positive work environment

Excellent work with good benefits and work life balance. Compensation could be better for the area but team morale and onboarding is top notch. The teams really ensure you get involved early and feel a part of the team.

April 19, 2021
We are delighted to hear of your positive team experience. We’re very fortunate to have a wonderful team. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We wish you luck with your future endeavors and hope our paths cross again soon.

Few Go-Getters, many overpaid, underperforming Employees

A good company, but many check-collecting, over-compensated, under-performing employees who lack the vision and understanding that 90% of what they produce is most likely going to a young soldier who is going into harms way. Most of the FEW motivated, go-getting employees ultimately get burnt out from being relied on so heavily, and either quit, contemplate quitting, or lose motivation to keep producing. Many GOOD employees are underpaid due to a HUGE disconnect between Employee’s manager and the technical leadership witnessing said employees day to day milestones. In Most cases, FAIR compensation for what a good employee is putting out daily, only comes when that employee becomes the “Squeaky Wheel”.

Pros

Casual, laid back work environment with good work life balance

Cons

Compensation for work output is Poor to put it lightly.

Not good at career advancement

Never willing to provide on the job training or cross training in order to change career fields.Internal job recruiting is terrible. Instead of hiring within leads would rather hire an experienced external hire before promoting within because leads do not want to take the time to train anyone even if the person has had some experience and/or training in common with the internal position. This results in a lot of turnover.

Great work environment

General dynamics Provided a great work environment for my first internship. I learned a lot from experienced managers who were able to help me improve my overall knowledge of the Aerospace industry and systems engineering

Fast Paced work environment with flexible management

Over my time in GDMS the work life balance was easily manageable and the workers I had on my team were all trust worthy and easy to work with. Management is conscientious of the employees down to the lowest level of the chain and take pride in their work to assist the nation in its defense.

Pros

Flexible Time, Conscientious Management, Room for personal growth

Cons

Process of day to day work could be improved from older processes when the company was younger

Great Company

Flexible work schedule, very supportive of military life, always engaged in some type of project and you are able to chose your career path.

Productive and fun work environment

Great talented people everywhere, always helping and pushing each other. Flexible work schedule, caring management who actually interact with lower level employees.

Pros

Awesome coffee, very laid-back(for the most part), very professional work environment, utilizing/creating cutting edge tech

Cons

Hard work when it hits crunch-time and deadlines(this is to be expected though)

Previously Forward Looking now Sequestered To Death

The emphasis on large subcontracts led to the hiring of hundreds of useless employees, who were then put in project management positions to increase the contract costs and income. This led to paralysis and then delivery of incomplete and late products. Prior to 2006 the company had plenty of projects and reasonable people capable of building working systems. Emphasis on large projects, schedule and cost over product led to customer dissatisfaction and the inevitable decision to give the development work to smaller contractors.

Pros

In the 2004 to 2006 time frame things were done correctly and progress was made

Cons

Became sweatshop culture lacking any product quality focus

Management Decisions come at expense to employees

Recent management decisions have come at the expense of employees when it comes to Healthcare, Sick Leave, PTO, Tuition reimbursement. The benefits still exist, but induces more cost on the employees. Aside from that the people are nice to work, and the work challenges faced are enjoyable and allow for continued growth and travel.

Once was a great place to work, but not anymore

I spent ten years at GD Scottsdale as a Systems Engineer. When it was busy, the work was good and the people were great to work with. With changes over the years, it has become not so great. Deletion of sick time and replacement with PTO, making employees use vacation time for sick time, then removing days of PTO in subsequent years was a significant change for the worse. Prior to that, the retirement program was scrapped. Now the layoffs have been happening since 2011 on a pretty regular basis. People are living in fear of the next one.

Pros

Work was good, and pay was good.

Cons

Management does not listen to employees, who they seem to see as liabilities rather than assets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?