General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews for Software Engineer

Software Engineer16 reviews

Great first job, not somewhere to grow

A typical day includes balancing checking email, writing code, and attending meetings. Working on multiple projects is a possibility, which means even more context switching over the course of the day. Each team and project is a little different in terms of size, structure and workflow. The hardest part of the job is that increased responsibility and work load is not compensated with adequate pay. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to flex your hours during the week.

Flexible Working Options

The work/life balance is mostly good, and they are loose about their hybrid/work-from-home model, so I rarely go into the office. The only downside is that I am not completely interested in the projects, but that is just because of the industry, not the specific company.

December 19, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work. Teamwork, sharing ideas, creating technologies that never existed before…that’s our culture. Thanks for being a part of it.

Productive and Relaxed place to work

GDMS-ca is a great place to start a journey in Enterprise software. The management is attentive. The work vibe is relaxed and moderately challenging depending on the program and software lifecycle stage.

Great people, great mission

The work is very interesting, albeit using older technology as it typical with long duration military contracts. The people are what make the job what it is. If you are willing to put in the work, be a team player, you will be rewarded.

Good job security, not a lot of perks

The job security and pay are pretty good. But the work can be boring/slow. Work from home is available to some employees, but most are on site. Old school mentality in most aspects.

December 30, 2021
Thanks for your review and your thoughts. Developing mission-critical systems that help keep people safe does take time and we take that seriously, which can sometimes mean things move slow. We are always willing to learn about what can help in each position so if you have specific ideas, we would love to hear from you. Please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Good work life balance

Avg pay, good co workers, good benefits and good work life balance. Work is okay, can get dull and projects can turn into long periods of defect fixing. Management isnt great. Lot of non technical people managing or leading technical people isnt a great idea.

Pros

Work Life Balance

Cons

Work is boring and Management

January 20, 2021
Attracting and retaining top talent is our priority. After all our business is powered by thinking – original, creative and yes, even critical. We know that we have opportunities to improve and we’re working to make the changes that need to be made in order to make GDMS the best possible place to build a career. If you have specific feedback, please let us know by reach out to us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

Extremely Professional and Exciting Place To Work

GD provided me the opportunity to do my second internship there and I accepted wholeheartedly. I was welcomed with an incredibly smart team of engineers that assisted me as I worked towards understanding the complex product as well as adapting to the new work environment. Work is exciting as I was exposed to brand new tools I hadn't used before, closed office space that allowed 100% focus and a company culture that is incredibly professional as it is fun.

Overall: Excellent

Quiet workplace with incredibly friendly management and co-workers. Being a military contractor means working with stable (read as older) technology. Due to security clearance, some tasks are unnecessarily difficult

could be better

Not too upset with them, I have ultimate job security possible but management could be better and there could be more work / reliable long term projects. Very consistent with friends projects ended abruptly due to funding and then being put on the same project with a lot of funding, thus work not lasting long/constant boredom and not learning/growing much

Outdated and Out of touch

The project I was on used outdated technology that made working more cumbersome than necessary. The project managers weren't interested in improving or upgrading until absolutely necessary. And by the time it was necessary, there wouldn't be a lot of time to do it and cause more stress than needed to upgrade when the whole point was to reduce stress.

Pros

Good work life balance, Good benefits

Cons

Outed technology

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at General Dynamics Mission Systems?

Extremely professionl company

It was a pleasure working at GD at Fort Monmouth Many benefits, extremely open environment Freedom to innovate and pursue the best possible solutions Laid of due to BRAC, separation benefits were extremely useful and helpful

Pros

Work Environment

Cons

Na

negative experience here

while working at GD missions systems I found that it had a negative culture that led to everybody blaming everybody else instead of working together. I had a very stressful experience there.

Fast paced work environment

Fast paced work environment that consists of a lot of meetings causing delays in completing your own work. Provides good advancement abilities for your career.

Good place to be invisible

Management is unaware of personnel working offsite. They might as well be invisible. You could work for years in an offsite position just down the road from the main site and as long as you don't do anything to cause problems they won't know you exist.

Used to be good

This used to be a solid company to work at. Lately they have been reducing benefits to make the bottom line look better.

Stagnant career choice

I would not recommend anyone to work there unless you wish to see your career become stagnant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• General Dynamics Mission Systems