General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews for Engineer

Engineer15 reviews

Productive and Busy Workplace

This company has high advancement opportunities for engineering. If you seek to learn and grow, you will be challenged. Those who show drive and integrity are fought over between program teams and end up getting assigned far more work than is feasible. Technical management is aware of the issue and make a very strong effort to do nothing about it. If you are not an engineer, prepare to be laid off during the next unforeseen economic downturn. The engineering work is not very technical or research intensive. There’s a lot of process and paperwork. For Software, 10 percent of your time is touching code. The rest is dealing with process. Compensation packages are on the admirable side initially, but don’t grow as fast as other companies in the area.

December 19, 2022
Many of our amazing technologies are so important, they are often top-secret - which leads to different perspectives and different processes for each role we have. We appreciate everyone on all of our teams and appreciate your feedback. If you have specifics you would like to speak with us on, please email us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Welfare for engineers.

The environment is terrible. Managers are totally oblivious to the outside world and think they have all the power. Attrition is massive for engineers because everyone pays better. You will double your salary at minimum leaving. Most senior managers don't even make 200k here. There is alot of harassment and asking of inappropriate questions or comments from managers. Here is where careers go to die or engineers go for welfare. Do not come here and if you are a new hire look elsewhere asap even if you have to pay back your signing bonus. The bonus from private will be much higher.

Pros

Easy work.

Cons

Micromanagement, incompetent managers, laughable salaries, harassment, old boys club for engineering rejects. Get out ASAP. Go anywhere else. Even new hires wantto GTFO.

December 30, 2021
All employees have different experiences at every company, and we understand that not all of them may be positive. We've been building our business and our culture for over two decades and currently we have more than 12,000 employees nationwide, and a retention rate that is one of the best for our industry. That tells us that, as an employer, we're on the right track. Your experience tells us what we know - we can always improve. We continuously look for ways to make our culture more inclusive and more innovative. We also regularly review compensation to make sure we're competitive. We would like to talk to you about your experience. As everyone at General Dynamics Mission Systems knows, we have zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior of any type, and if it needs to be addressed anywhere in our company, we will do so immediately. We look forward to hearing from you at HR@gd-ms.com so we can discuss this further. Again, we wish you nothing but the best in your career moving forward.

Very inclusive, supportive, but high possibility for burnout

The work life balance at GDMS is good. They offer a 9/80 work schedule which allows every other Friday off. Good benefits. Most everyone in the IT department are kind, accepting, and respectful. The wheels keep on churning and there’s always work to be done, but it can get intense, fast paced, and burn you out quickly if you’re not careful.

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, supportive management, inclusive

Cons

Burnout, lack of acknowledgment

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. Teamwork, sharing ideas, creating technologies that never existed before…that’s our culture. Thanks for being a part of it! We hope you’ll share some of your ideas about how we can make our career experience a better experience for everyone. Email: TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

Lack of Leadership

Plenty of managers , no leaders. The structure of the organization I am in allows for easy pigeon holing of your career. The first couple of years you may get to learn many new skills but after that finding something new to learn becomes a struggle.

challenging work

If you are in engineering, it is a good place to work. Lots of state of the art activity. Working different programs also provides new challenges within your discipline.

Relatively good job security in the tech/engineering industry due to long project cycles. Benefits are not great but roughly inline with the industry in Calgary. The facility here is pretty good overall with fairly updated equipment. Salary is the main concern, well below average for Calgary from my perspective. This would be the place to work until retirement if it paid more or had some sort of retirement plan.

Pros

Good approachable management and a happy place to work. Free parking

Cons

no free coffee, does not have a diverse culture

Terrible Management

No opportunities for advancement, just more work expected with little or no recognition of efforts. Promises are often broken and no financial support to advance within the company and learn new skills

Pros

Great VP who cares

Cons

No Direct Management

industry leader

section management cares about the careers and lives of staff. It has been a good place to network and learn about emerging technologies. There is a great internship program

Great place to work if you get in there.

Good work environment, pressure is moderate, diverse work. Management is respectful and appreciating. However, they'd rather spend money on computers, good monitors, technological equipment and coffee machines instead of new office furniture.

Another contractor in Huntsville

Great coworkers, poor upper management. Put a path in place for advancement instead of free coffee. Zero Huntsville footprint, advertising, or exposure.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at General Dynamics Mission Systems?

Highly ethical and risk averse company.

Good company (Large) where you can have opportunities to work state of the art bleeding technology or current technology solution engineering programs

Pros

Excellent compensation! Diverse opportunity if willing to relocate occassionally.

Cons

If you dont proactively make yourself visible through accomplishments or other, you get lost in the large company as just another number in the large org.

Challenging problems, some very good people

A number of employees have left the company only to return after finding out that they missed the challenging technical assignments. There are a number of good people on staff who are technically sharp and fun to work with.

Once a technical powerhouse currently losing it's edge

The engineering staff and the technical know how made General Dynamics (once Motorola) a leader in the communications industry. Due to the current management style annual earnings has become more important than customer satisfaction. On the positive side there is a lot of diversity in individual assignments. Co-workers are friendly and get together outside of work often.

Downhill Fast

Used to be a very good to work, but for the past five+ years, they have done nothing but take from their employees. It seems like everyone is looking for employment elsewhere and management couldn't care less.

Pros

Paid for education

Cons

Shrinking benefits and stagnant wages.

Good place to work, if you can hang in there.

Belts are being tightened, but it seems management is looking to the future. Work is still exciting and challenging, but the environment (factors which are outside the control) is changing and getting tougher.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?