General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

overall good work

location in sterling was not so great traffic awful. work environment pleasant usual job drama. Management issues, lots of turnover because of management. HR no help

Pros

compensation and people

Cons

management

Professional Encouraging Work Environment

For the most part, work is what you make it. GDMS does a good job of encouraging employees and bringing synergy to most programs. There is substantial self-paced and teleconference training opportunities.

April 27, 2020
We appreciate your time to provide us with a review. We’re always looking for ways to improve our career environment and your feedback is extremely helpful. Thank you!

Business Development

When I was employed at GD, it was very political, and management was terrible. Only a couple of middle managers were ethical - however there were problems within many of the departments, and frankly, it was not a pleasant place to work. After watching the churn of personnel go through the grinder, and all the lost business - with everyone lacking direction, I am blessed to have left.

April 14, 2020
Your experience is not the experience we want anyone to have at General Dynamics Mission Systems. In the last 5 years, we underwent a merger that literally changed everything about our business. Rest assured; we are continuously working to improve our culture for a more positive employee experience. Your feedback will be used to help us train management, improve communication, and drive change throughout the company.

Life of an Office Engineer vs Field Engineer

Most of my career with General Dynamics has been in the field working with the customer. More "hands-on" than paperwork. Life in the office, while more stable than constant travel, is more "paper-work" than "hands-on". This worries me as I fear losing marketable skills.

April 14, 2020
Thanks for your feedback. We’re always looking for ways to improve our career environment. The fact is, finding new ways to keep everyone engaged and motivated is just as important to us as it is to you. We have ongoing efforts to enhance our culture and your ideas are more than welcome. Reach out to us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

A Typical Day At Work

Interacting with subject matter experts to provide intelligent content to customer. Reviewing materials from a variety of sources and confirming the accuracy.

Great people and flexibility of schedule

Great people and flexibility of schedule, puts family before work. Tons of Personal Time off and holidays. Cons: Hard to advance without education and management has lack of communication

Laid back environment

Best part of the job for me is the laid back environment. You work a lot, but the people you work with make the experience enjoyable and fun. It's like making friends as well as work colleagues.

Great company to work for

General Dynamics Mission System is a fantastic company to work for. If one has a positive attitude and is willing to put in the time to develop your skill set within this organization, one will find success. The culture, is positive and the pay is competitive.

Love the Place

I worked at the General Dynamics C4 Systems site in Scottsdale Arizona from 1995 to 2012. I worked as a Corporate Security Officer. The work was challenging, there was a lot to learn and many jobs required either a Top Secret or at minimum, a Secret clearance The pay was great, the benefits were at least as good as any corporation was offering at the time. I felt well taken care at GD. It was a great company from which I retired in December 2012

Good salary but benefits continue to decrease.

Good company to work for and advancement can be had at the main locations. Smaller locations don’t have much room for advancement. Benefits decrease almost yearly with employee costs rising.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at General Dynamics Mission Systems?

love working with the associates because the diversity was great

Good place to work with good benefits also lots of challenging work opportunities for Advancement also the chance to locate at other facilities teamwork atmosphere

Room for advancement

The position was very inclusive and I felt a sense of beloging. When given an assignment I was able to receive support and complete each task. The team of assembly techs, engineers, and managers work well in a small group atmosphere.

Lack of Leadership

Plenty of managers , no leaders. The structure of the organization I am in allows for easy pigeon holing of your career. The first couple of years you may get to learn many new skills but after that finding something new to learn becomes a struggle.

The company is fantastic, innovative and eager to stay competitive with other contractors.

New executive leadership has great ideas and vision it seems a continuous battle to flow that great vision down through seasoned management that don't promote change.

Productive workplace with great people

The people I work with are absolutely fantastic. In the Scottsdale office, there is a close knit environment that kindles professional friendships and a comfortable place for questions and immediate help. No matter what position you hold, you will at some point work with everyone who are all extremely kind and eager to help. Everyone who is currently here wants to be here and it really shows.

Great place to work!

Very balanced work / personal life, great incentives and atmosphere. General Dynamics provides free onsite parking, a gym, a full cafeteria with meals cooked daily and many other great benefits.

Management Training is lacking

They offer many options for career advancement training, which is amazing, but not too many opportunities to put that training into use. New leads or managers are not taught how to give critiques or how to deal with difficult situations. You have to learn as you go, and hope you don't fail.

challenging work

If you are in engineering, it is a good place to work. Lots of state of the art activity. Working different programs also provides new challenges within your discipline.

An okay place to work, has pros and cons

You came in, and mostly did the same thing every day unless you were needed in another area. Unless you didnt already know the job you were doing, someone was there to show you how to perform the task at hand. Management was not the best, due to new supervisor and their lack of knowledge of the job/jobs. Most enjoyable part was working with newly made friends and also the hours wasnt too bad.

Assembler

Wrong people in management, no prior management experience. Military or former military employees get positions that require degrees and experience that they dont have. Click environment, more happy if you show up to work on time and do a bad job than do a great job and make money for the company without joining the click and sometimes running late Bad environment for an independent thinking individual. General manager does well but floor management needs improvement , no education. Always contradict themselves.

Good Defense Contractor

I worked at GTE/GD for 39 years, so much has changed as the company expanded and reorganized a number of times. Currently, I think it is a good place to work, but the Army's procurement methods are changing and not conducive to large scale integrators like GD. However, I am sure that will turn around in a few years, the current push to piecemeal solutions to Small and Disadvantaged businesses is short sighted and will not likely provide needed big system solutions that the Army needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• General Dynamics Mission Systems