General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

overall good work

location in sterling was not so great traffic awful. work environment pleasant usual job drama. Management issues, lots of turnover because of management. HR no help

Pros

compensation and people

Cons

management

Good job security, not a lot of perks

The job security and pay are pretty good. But the work can be boring/slow. Work from home is available to some employees, but most are on site. Old school mentality in most aspects.

December 30, 2021
Thanks for your review and your thoughts. Developing mission-critical systems that help keep people safe does take time and we take that seriously, which can sometimes mean things move slow. We are always willing to learn about what can help in each position so if you have specific ideas, we would love to hear from you. Please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Welfare for engineers.

The environment is terrible. Managers are totally oblivious to the outside world and think they have all the power. Attrition is massive for engineers because everyone pays better. You will double your salary at minimum leaving. Most senior managers don't even make 200k here. There is alot of harassment and asking of inappropriate questions or comments from managers. Here is where careers go to die or engineers go for welfare. Do not come here and if you are a new hire look elsewhere asap even if you have to pay back your signing bonus. The bonus from private will be much higher.

Pros

Easy work.

Cons

Micromanagement, incompetent managers, laughable salaries, harassment, old boys club for engineering rejects. Get out ASAP. Go anywhere else. Even new hires wantto GTFO.

December 30, 2021
All employees have different experiences at every company, and we understand that not all of them may be positive. We've been building our business and our culture for over two decades and currently we have more than 12,000 employees nationwide, and a retention rate that is one of the best for our industry. That tells us that, as an employer, we're on the right track. Your experience tells us what we know - we can always improve. We continuously look for ways to make our culture more inclusive and more innovative. We also regularly review compensation to make sure we're competitive. We would like to talk to you about your experience. As everyone at General Dynamics Mission Systems knows, we have zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior of any type, and if it needs to be addressed anywhere in our company, we will do so immediately. We look forward to hearing from you at HR@gd-ms.com so we can discuss this further. Again, we wish you nothing but the best in your career moving forward.

I worked there for 5 weeks, thought I was doing great as indicated by my supervisor. Going forward one the end of the 5 week I get a call from my agency saying that my assignment was over. Very upset NO communication between supervisor and temp agency. And the worst before Thanksgiving !!! Very low blow !!!

Pros

Nice place

Cons

Too far to walk to Cafeteria.

December 13, 2021
Thank you for being part of our team. We know there can be room for improvement within a company and welcome ways in which we can provide the best experiences. If you would like to share more details and additional feedback, please email TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

It is a big corporation.

Our business unit was so small GD closed it. The work was interesting and fun. We made robotic camera systems for use on air, water and land platforms (e.g., helicopters, boats and automobiles).

November 22, 2021
Thank you for the feedback. Even when things have to change, we truly appreciate all the work our teams do. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Came aboard to build my experience, stayed 12 years.

I took the job to help build my resume and get job experience but ended up really enjoying the work, pay and benefits. My position allowed me a lot of creative freedom considering our Government customer. I would have continued to work there if our contracted hadn't been terminated by the Government.

Pros

Benefits and Work/Life balance

Cons

Restrictive rules due to our Government contract.

October 11, 2021
We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and how much you enjoyed working at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We're only as good as our team and glad you were a part of it. Best wishes on your next adventure.

Good work/life balance

Pretty low stress and lots of interesting work. Pay and benefits are strong but not really the best. Management doesn’t invest adequately in developing and retaining performers, probably due to tight budgets. Lots of great peers have left. Most internal processes are cumbersome and inefficient.

Pros

Stable work, flexible work plans, remote options

Cons

Management can be aloof, comp and promotions lag the industry

October 11, 2021
Thank you for your review. We annually review our compensation and benefits to ensure we are competitive. That said, input like yours can be an important part of driving change so if you have more feedback or ideas, please let us know: TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. Thank you.

Excellent work environment

Good benefits, management and work nvironment. A lot oppoetunities for advancement particularly in Virginia and Florida. Excellent intership opportunities.

October 11, 2021
Wow! Thank you for your feedback. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work and we appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

Neat technology but poor management

Worked on some really cool technology and had some great co-workers. Can be stressful since the industry is cyclical. Not knowing if you will be laid off

October 11, 2021
We work hard to create opportunities for everyone so that we can all continue to work together. We appreciate your feedback and wish you luck on your next endeavors!

Relaxed Job once everything is learned.

Job became very relaxed once I learned most of the facets of the position. Work flow went up and down depending on customer needs, but due to mismanagement, manager required weekend support nearly every month in case of missed production goals. Hard to make plans if you might have to come into work on days off.

Pros

Hands off management for the most part. Lots of down-time.

Cons

Lots of down-time. Sometimes slow/low work load. Contractors get short end of the stick.

October 11, 2021
Thank you for the feedback. We know the processes we have in place can be improved. People too. That’s why we’re evaluating how we do things and making changes to streamline processes. If you have specific ideas or feedback, we would love to hear from you. Reach out to us at to TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Low Pay, Restrictions on Advancement

They offer below industry standard pay. Employees generally can only advance one level per year at most, so this is not great for those who come straight out of college. It's easier to get promoted by leaving and coming back.Employees are expected to track time for every six minutes. Time charging codes often are confusing on what should be used, especially when helping coworkers on a problem that's under a different project.

October 11, 2021
Thanks for your review and thoughts. We understand we may have room for improvements. We have committed to annually reviewing our compensation and benefits compared to everyone – not just in our industry but in every industry. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Typical DoD Work

A lot of role models in engineering. People are willing to invest time into the success of others. Management suppresses creative freedom - engineers have to take on a significant amount of risk to improve things without management approval.

Pros

Great Mentor, Talent Recognized

Cons

No Overtime Pay, Overworked, No Creative Freedom

September 7, 2021
Great feedback. We know the processes we have in place can be improved. People too. That’s why we’re evaluating how we do things and making changes to streamline processes. That’s also why we’re investing in our people. Training and hiring top talent is an ongoing commitment at General Dynamics Mission Systems. If you have specific ideas or feedback, we would love to hear from you. Email us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

outstanding place to work

I worked there 37 years, retired and loved all of it. GDMS is a highly ethical and excellently run company. Salary and benefits are very competitive! Very flexible work environment, excellent HR team and treatment of all employees!

Pros

Very flexible work environment

September 7, 2021
A company is only as good as its team and we were lucky to share 37 years with you. We’re so glad you were part of our team. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope you enjoy your retirement. You deserve it!

Summer intern

Interned several years ago so this may be outdated.During my time there I was given a lot of busy work and not anything all that worthwhile to do. Felt disengaged and disconnected, but at the very least everyone was friendly.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your intern experience. We’re disappointed to hear that you did not feel your intern experience had a direct impact on the organization. As this program continues to grow and evolve, our goal is for interns to be involved with the technologies and solutions that make the world a safer place. If you have any specific details to share please email TalentSupply@gd-ms.com and we will pass your feedback on to the team.

Overall a happy atmosphere when working even through a tough times

I have never worked for a company whose job was to ensure their employees were first priority.At the same time this created an atmosphere of doing a great job at work. Employers loyalty to their workers and employees loyalty to their company.

Pros

Greatest place to work

Cons

Good place to start off.

Good place to work for because of coworkers. Lots of overtime in certain shops. It’s a union company, so everyone gets paid the same no matter how much to do or how less you do.

Pros

Coworkers, 3 day weekend every other weekend

Cons

Lots of overtime, low pay and expect a lot from you.

September 7, 2021
We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and the amount of overtime expected. Rest assured, we are listening and will share this feedback directly with our teams. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Very inclusive, supportive, but high possibility for burnout

The work life balance at GDMS is good. They offer a 9/80 work schedule which allows every other Friday off. Good benefits. Most everyone in the IT department are kind, accepting, and respectful. The wheels keep on churning and there’s always work to be done, but it can get intense, fast paced, and burn you out quickly if you’re not careful.

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, supportive management, inclusive

Cons

Burnout, lack of acknowledgment

September 7, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. Teamwork, sharing ideas, creating technologies that never existed before…that’s our culture. Thanks for being a part of it! We hope you’ll share some of your ideas about how we can make our career experience a better experience for everyone. Email: TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

Manufacturing

Poor management forced overtime due to project scheduler making poor management of projects cause them to overlap and set up for projects just to tear them down due to issues can literally take a whole shift to finish one motherboard on certain days

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

September 7, 2021
If we only had positive feedback from employees, nothing would change. Thank you for sharing your experience at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We take it seriously. While reviewing and improving every aspect of our culture is an ongoing commitment, your input will help us move forward even faster.

Good job variation and program management

Great place to work. Thankful for the opportunity that I have had with the company. Nice and stable daily workload that varies. Good culture around the campus. Would recommend to anyone.

Pros

Travel

September 7, 2021
We’re very fortunate to have a wonderful team. Thank you for being a part of our ongoing success and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Supportive company with fair compensation

I spent 10 years at GDMS in the Satcom Technologies division before we were sold to Communication and Power Industries. I had amazing opportunitoes to advance and loved my work. Great compensation and benefits.

Pros

Benefits, healthcare, compensation

Okay job

Not too bad a place - Low pay and you have to work hard. Can make a lot more money doing the same work somewhere else. Benefits are good.Coworkers are friendly. Management is nice enough.

September 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are committed to creating a welcoming, positive and collaborative working environment for all of our employees. As this program continues to grow and evolve, our goal is for interns to be involved with the technologies and solutions that make the world a safer place. If you have any specific details to share please email TalentSupply@gd-ms.com and we will pass your feedback on to the team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• General Dynamics Mission Systems