General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

overall good work

location in sterling was not so great traffic awful. work environment pleasant usual job drama. Management issues, lots of turnover because of management. HR no help

Pros

compensation and people

Cons

management

Typical US Business behavior

GDMS is a huge company, and as its a company its beholden to its shareholders. The C-Suite act like any other major company and only try to hit their bonuses and make record profits and everything else be damned.

Pros

Government Defense Contractors arnt going anywhere

Cons

TONS of middle management

July 26, 2022
We’re going to review your feedback with our teams and use it to improve communications and drive change. If you are open to talking more about your experiences, please contact us TalentSupply@gd-ms.com. Thank you.

Purposeful workplace with many opportunities

Most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to support an IP-based communications system used by the US Coast Guard to protect the border and conduct search and rescue missions.

July 26, 2022
The work we do is important and we are glad you are part of it. Thank you for your feedback.

Professional company

I was employed for less than 2 years and spent 7 months working from home due to covid. Great people to work with. I wasn't able to find a position I felt really good about due to the short stay. I was not happy with job location in Massachusetts. I left to go back out west and into a field service job,

Pros

Good pay and work schedule

July 26, 2022
Thank you for your review. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Great pay and benefits, poor leadership from director level on down

The department I worked in was always about the "good ol boys". if you weren't one, you weren't advancing. Period. But past that, the company itself is great, very good benefits and pay.

Pros

Pay, benefits, job purpose

Cons

Poor middle management and good ol boy system

June 28, 2022
Please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com so we can learn more about your experience and take appropriate steps to ensure we are all working together and providing a great space for everyone. We want this to continue to be an amazing place to build your career.

Overall great place to work

The culture was very laid back. We had core hours from 9am-1pm where the bosses expected us to be there, but other than that, you could come in go as you pleased. As long as you had 80 hrs at the end of two weeks, the managers did not care how you got it (At least from the teams I saw). We had every other Friday off, and the Friday on was casual Fridays. The enivornment in Pittsfield was almost like a family type feel because there were several employees that had been there for over 15-20+ years. The job security is great.I only left the company because I hated the weather up there and I'm from South Carolina. I wanted to move back home.

June 28, 2022
We are thrilled to read that you experienced Good Humans during your time here, as we strive to surround our employees with teammates and leaders who are respectful, compassionate, and humble above all else. Thanks for your contribution to General Dynamics Mission Systems!

Ambiente lavorativo buono,ottima organizzazione, valutazione nel complesso ottima

Ho lavorato 1 anno in questa azienda, mi sono trovato nel complesso molto bene, ambiente competitivo ma alla fine abbastanza tranquillo, ho imparato molte cose ,ottima organizzazione, nel complesso buonissima esperienza

I love the fact that what I am doing is to help to support those that support my country. I am doing my part to keep them safe as they keep us safe.

I have learned more than I can tell because at General Dynamics Mission Systems, it's all about security. We will ensure that our company is secure an in the process ensure that our country is secure. We get the job done right. The work is based on quality more than quantity and I have always wanted to work for a company who understood that quality meant better & survival.

May 24, 2022
We couldn't agree more! We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work while working on things that help keep our nation safe. We appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

Great, if you like slow-paced environments with no upward mobility!

GDMS is a revolving door of interns and recently graduated students who quickly leave once they realize they're getting shafted. The pay and compensation is abysmal, therefore they can't retain talented people. There's zero room for growth as tenured people refuse to leave and let the less experience take over. There aren't any clear delineated paths to advancement. The work is uninteresting and slow, so you're days will drag. That being said, the people there really make the job. It's really a really family-orientated environment so if you have kids, are a spouse, or what have you, GDMS definitely works around that. They pressure you to take time off if management knows. My management has never less than supportive.

May 24, 2022
Thanks for your review and thoughts. We love that you love the team and we know that flexibility is so important for so many, which is why our benefits are some of the best. We are also reviewing our compensation so feedback like this from our team is important. If you have additional ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Good pay but boring work

Good pay but boring work. Often times did not have enough work to fill my day with. Felt like it was a hurry up and wait mentality, but we had to charge our time to projects anyways.

May 6, 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Working on mission-critical systems that help keep our nation safe will involve different types of work. If you have insights on how something can be improved, we would love to hear from you. Please reach out to TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

The position provided the ability to improve the system of health care for employees and myself improvement as a manager

My work at GDC4S started with a manager that under-supplied my post with materiel supplies. I worked within a stringent budget to maintain even basic medical supplies and office equipment that were freely supplied to my cohorts at the business unit headquarters. Despite these setbacks, I managed, through my own resources, the availability to establish and provide a medical care network to a populace that had gone without previously. After nearly five years and within ninety (90) days of becoming vested for retirement, I was given the option of either moving my family 2300 miles away, at my partial expense, or to undergo a layoff. Due to family needs, I took the layoff. I ultimately discovered that I was the lowest compensated individual in our team, despite being one of the highest qualified and most productive. It was necessary to retrieve the unpaid portion of my Flexible Spending Account (FSA) through an out of court settlement.

Great people, great mission

The work is very interesting, albeit using older technology as it typical with long duration military contracts. The people are what make the job what it is. If you are willing to put in the work, be a team player, you will be rewarded.

Overall a great place to start your career, but doesn't give enough to stay

Overall a has a good work/life balance, but what you learn in the projects you work on will probably not be helpful at all down the road. Pay can start out good (especially for new grads), but ends up falling into the same no raise trap many other companies fall into.

April 15, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Paying competitive salaries – not to mention offering competitive benefits – is critical for any organization. Rest assured, we are listening and annually review our compensation and benefits compared to everyone – not just in our industry but in every industry. We are committed to making sure our people are compensated for being the very best… because that’s what they are. If you have specific ideas, please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com

Small Town Culture

This is a small tight nit community which has some disadvantages. The company employs lots of family members, couples, and relatives. Nepotism is big within GDMS in Pittsfield. This can make being outspoken frowned upon and even if they try to practice fairness it is trumped because of the long-standing relationships. Production morale is the worse ever.

Pros

Excellent programs with long tenured contracts

Cons

People have long tenure and this can have negative impacts on growth for others

April 15, 2022
Please contact us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com so we can learn more about your experience and take appropriate steps to ensure it's handled correctly. We want this to continue to be an amazing place to build your career.

It’s okay for warehouse work

you learn a lot like how to operate various machinery and learn how to work with different chemical lines but they are strict about certain PPE like earplugs and safety glasses but also don’t care about your safety at the same time, you could be breathing in steam from very hazardous chemicals but they don’t want you wearing a respirator or offer them at all they care more about the contracts they have with the government

Pros

learn alot

Cons

safety

March 16, 2022
Employee safety is not something we take lightly, it is something we are serious about. Please reach out to our TalentSupply@gd-ms.com team and let them know specifics about your comments. We will work with our teams to make any necessary changes needed. Thank you.

I feel well cared for working for GDMS. The nature of my work is fulfilling, and I plan to stay for many years.

Working for GDMS can best be described as flexible, challenging (in a good way), constructive, and fair. The company provides constant outlets to resolve issues, and higher management very much looks after the well being of their employees.

March 16, 2022
Thank you for your review and your loyalty. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work and we appreciate your recognition of our continued efforts. Thanks for being a part of it!

Good mobility and productive environment

Things were relatively fast-paced but tended to ebb and flow with the contracts. Sometimes things could get hairy when there was a huge push to get product out the door, but generally felt a solid sense of accomplishment working with the team.

Pros

Good people, room to grow for the right kind of person.

Cons

Some harassment/bullying issues within certain logistical departments.

Good people, bad management.

The company used to have a quality first manufacturing philosophy with a balanced life home approach to it's employees. Due to management changes the understanding of the teams skill sets and a loss of customer focus has lead to high turn over and low retention in many areas of the factory. This combined with withering pay scale and crumbling benefits has put product quality and employee value as a close 3rd in priority.

February 24, 2022
We know that as a large organization, things will change. We promise that we’re committed to improving for the better. All ideas are welcome here. We hope you’ll share some of your ideas about how we can make a better career experience for everyone. Please email us at TalentSupply@gd-ms.com.

Horrible

GD doesn’t have a well running QMS. Management and employees complain about having too much work and not enough people. Everything is tribal knowledge and to ask someone for help is pointless. The ones that know what to do get mad about asking them and when you mess something up because you were not trained or told anything about it they complain that you messed up. Permanent employees in department are lazy and management has to bring employees from different states to help them catch up with the work.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Everything besides free coffee

March 16, 2022
Your experience is not the experience we want anyone to have at General Dynamics Mission Systems. In the last 5 years, we underwent a merger that literally changed everything about our business. Rest assured; we are continuously working to improve our culture for a more positive employee experience. Your feedback will be used to help us train management, improve communication, and drive change throughout the company.

Good benefits, Pay could be better.

Jobs are not too bad. Once you learn something though, it can get repetitive. You work with good people. The pay could definitely be better. For the area, it is kind of low, but great benefits.

February 24, 2022
Paying competitive salaries and bonuses – not to mention offering competitive benefits – is critical for any organization. And feedback like this from our team is important, thank you.

Productive and work together atmospheric environment to complete the objective.

Good people. Helpful. Show willingness to be involved and be part of a solution. Be committed. Go the extra mile. Task oriented and be driven to meet the end goal on time.

Pros

Flexible, team oriented. Work together. Good people. Rewarded for your effort. You are appreciated.

Cons

Nothing stands out. I enjoyed all of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• General Dynamics Mission Systems