General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

overall good work

location in sterling was not so great traffic awful. work environment pleasant usual job drama. Management issues, lots of turnover because of management. HR no help

Pros

compensation and people

Cons

management

Great company

I learned a lot about the business. good benefits, great supervisor. I won't hesitate to work for this company again. management is good, workplace A+.

Lack of growth and innovation

The company is great to work for when there are projects and the people are incredibly smart and supportive. However, there is a resistance to trying anything innovative and spend money on research and innovation

What is the best part of working at the company?The people for sure. An amazing diverse group of people with a mix of skill levels and experience. People always willing to help others with anything. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?During our busiest times the demand and pressure can be overwhelming for some people but we have contractual deadlines to meet while hurdling manufacturing hiccups. But your team will support you in being successful and working alongside. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Relaxed in that no one micromanaging you, watching or standing over you. You work independently with support staff around you to answer any questions or concerns. What is a typical day like for you at the company?You don’t punch a clock, you bill each customer your hours working on their product. Lunch and breaks at at your discretion while sticking to the time allowed and getting back on time.independent work stations no assembly line.

Benefits, accommodations, people , on-site coaches

General Dynamics is a great place to work for the are not very competitive with salary I would say the only downfall. Many people over the course of two years have left this company and to other aerospace flight companies for more money. The management needs improvement the communication is lacking between departments.

Pros

9/80 shifts, ever other friday off

Cons

Not salary competitive in field

Very good remote worker situation.

Managment does work at communication and handled the pandemic well. I received job name changes, and I did not get any promotions. I had raises that were good. They do have a variety of types of PTO to use.

Pros

Good remote workers schedules. Good people to work with.

December 19, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We also enjoy our benefits and appreciate everyone has contributed to the team!

What is the best part of working at the company?The quest for excellence in products and services supporting the Warfighter.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Theres a very cyclic workflow going from the duldrums to a perfect storm level of projects.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Good team work environment that is very dynamic, diverse and super productive.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Everyday has a different element to it that kept the job from being mundane. Plenty of opportunities to learn and grow in your career.

December 19, 2022
Wow! Thank you for your review. We’re very fortunate to have a wonderful team and appreciate your recognition. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Average pay and more than likely easy work

If you get placed in an R&D group, it's very likely that you'll be doing some pretty cool testing and hardware design. However if you're in something like space then you'll have to fill out paperwork for everything that you do.

Pros

Job Security

Cons

Pay is pretty average

December 19, 2022
Thank you for providing feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you are enjoying the work!

No structure or leadership

There is insufficient training for production workers and little or no grooming employees internally for technical or supervisor positions. You can’t hire techs and supervisors off the street and expect them to contribute if they haven’t had hands on experience and training.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Morale is terrible

December 19, 2022
Thank you for this feedback. We know the processes we have in place can be improved. People too. That’s why we evaluate how we do things. That’s also why we’re investing in our people. If you have specific ideas or feedback, we would love to hear from you. Email us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Productive and Busy Workplace

This company has high advancement opportunities for engineering. If you seek to learn and grow, you will be challenged. Those who show drive and integrity are fought over between program teams and end up getting assigned far more work than is feasible. Technical management is aware of the issue and make a very strong effort to do nothing about it. If you are not an engineer, prepare to be laid off during the next unforeseen economic downturn. The engineering work is not very technical or research intensive. There’s a lot of process and paperwork. For Software, 10 percent of your time is touching code. The rest is dealing with process. Compensation packages are on the admirable side initially, but don’t grow as fast as other companies in the area.

December 19, 2022
Many of our amazing technologies are so important, they are often top-secret - which leads to different perspectives and different processes for each role we have. We appreciate everyone on all of our teams and appreciate your feedback. If you have specifics you would like to speak with us on, please email us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

What is the best part of working at the company?Rarely let go anyone working directly on gov contractsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Over micromanagementWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Comply or be replaced. Not encouraging for long term employment hence a very high turn over rate.

December 19, 2022
Each employee has a different experience and we understand that from each person, we can learn. We've been building for over two decades and have a retention rate that is one of the best for our industry. We would like to talk to you about your experience, please reach out to GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com. Thank you.

Flexible Working Options

The work/life balance is mostly good, and they are loose about their hybrid/work-from-home model, so I rarely go into the office. The only downside is that I am not completely interested in the projects, but that is just because of the industry, not the specific company.

December 19, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are entirely committed to making General Dynamics Mission Systems a great place to work. Teamwork, sharing ideas, creating technologies that never existed before…that’s our culture. Thanks for being a part of it.

Productive and Relaxed place to work

GDMS-ca is a great place to start a journey in Enterprise software. The management is attentive. The work vibe is relaxed and moderately challenging depending on the program and software lifecycle stage.

What is the best part of working at the company?People you work with What is the most stressful part about working at the company?The preach ‘work-life balance’ but don’t live it. People are stressed What is the work environment and culture like at the company?People just wait for their turn to get laid off

December 19, 2022
Thank you for sharing what you encountered. We value flexible hours and work-life balance. While we have processes in place, being this large of an organization working on advanced technologies, things can change. We appreciate the feedback that helps us learn.

Great Stepping Stone

I've had a good experience. They need to hire more people and find better ways of retaining the competent workers. I've seen a lot of people leave because they found better opportunities with this companies competitors.

December 19, 2022
We're happy to hear that your experience is good - wish the best of luck on future endeavors!

Management makes decisions without fully understanding situations

There were times when the job would be very frustrating because management did not fully understand the issues. They would not take the time to hear all facets of a situation or they did not care. They had a preconceived solution which may or may not fit and could do further harm.

September 26, 2022
Thank you for sharing your experience at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We take it seriously. While reviewing and improving every aspect of our culture is an ongoing commitment, your input will help us move forward even faster. If you have more feedback or ideas about how we can improve, please let us know at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

It's a job.

Pretty good co-workers. Management is another story. A lot of favoritism and but you get every other Friday off, if not on overtime. Would be a lot better with better management.

September 6, 2022
We agree our work/life balance is top notch! Our teams have flexible scheduling, with options like our 9/80 (every other Friday off) and remote work (based on position). With this mix we offer a little something for everyone. We're always open to hearing from you on how your career experience can be improved so please reach out with details at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Might just be my department, but everyone was very helpful and willing to help others learn their role.

I would enter the office at around 8 AM every day and leave at 4-6, depending on the project. Much of the company is kept under wraps, so I cannot elaborate on the details of the different programs, but they were really cool. The hardest part about getting started was the sheer amount of information that you need to process; it's like drinking from a firehose, but the people in the company are always willing to help you learn the job. Some will even teach you about their own areas of expertise if you are interested.

Pros

Hours are very flexible, There is plenty of job mobility, Earned PTO, Plenty of company events, Free to work at your own pace for the most part, Cool programs, Plenty of different positions to move to in order to find the position for you, Matching 401k, Great healthcare coverage.

Cons

You are a government contractor, so you will deal with the government regularly. The company is extremely serious about time charging, there have been several firings for mischarging time.

August 23, 2022
We appreciate your taking the time to provide a review. Working on things that help keep our nation safe is definitely serious business and we work hard with our teams to ensure best practices are being used for everything we do.

The support provided by teammates and leadership is fantastic.

We work hard and the results are very rewarding. Management is excellent and the 9/80 schedule is awesome allowing every other Friday off.There are always new work and learning opportunities available.

Pros

Schedule and team comradery.

Cons

No shaded parking for those working on site.

August 23, 2022
We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience and opportunities for learning. Personal and professional development are important to everyone here. (And having every other Friday off is a great perk too!)

Management in it for themselves

Interviews are a two way street. I interviewed for a position, took the job, and on my first day they had reorganized the department and placed people management roles who should not have been. I always made sure my boss didn't look bad when he made a call I didn't agree with, but when a situation escalated due to his call, he never owned up to it and it made me look bad. When I said I needed help, I was essentially told to standby and see how things worked out. I stopped caring and found opportunities elsewhere.

Pros

Pto

Cons

You have to fit into what they consider "normal"

August 23, 2022
Thank you for sharing what you encountered. While we have processes in place, we know that there is room for improvement. If you have more information to share, please let us know by emailing us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Overall laidback atmosphere compensation and overall appreciation for employees is not there.

Lack of respect from upper management. Only way to make a living is to work 7 days a week. Advancement is based of who you know not qualifications. No employee engagement what so ever because of the area people are treat as if they aren’t human.

August 23, 2022
Though we’re sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your time with us, we appreciate the feedback on how we can improve. If you’d like to discuss this further, feel free to contact us at GDMSCareers@gd-ms.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• General Dynamics Mission Systems
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?