Empower

Empower Employee Reviews

Eh

Not worth it. Micromanagers all around and they do not care about your mental health. They barely train you and then place you with the worst managers. Look elsewhere.

Poor Training, unorganized

The training does not prepare you for the job. New clients are given to you with no training. There was too much pressure on productivity, although they talked about changing that when I left.

Senior Management does not know and does not care

Empower has taken on 30,000 new DC plans with purchase of Mass Mutual and Prudential. They will never be able to handle all of these plans with current processes. They use an antiquated Recordkeeping system that adds additional time to a simple task that should have been resolved on the spot. Instead you must submit a service request that can take days to be completed. Because they can't (or won't) hire enough people to service all of these new plans, service levels are falling (long wait times on phone, long wait times for email reply, long wait times for resolutions to questions, problems etc). Seasoned employees and immediate managers take the attitude of "That's just the way it is around here." No sense of urgency to fix things and make it better, faster, more streamlined. So the result is employees are expected to work longer hours (including weekends) to get their work finished. The pay is OK, but certainly not for the amount of work you have to do which results in poor work/life balance. Their idea of training is to take someone who is bogged down with work and have them try to train you for a few hours each day. No dedicated training team, no reduction in work for the poor person who is assigned as your training partner

Pros

6% 401k match, remote work ability, unlimited "responsible" vacation (wink, wink)

Cons

No work/life balance, inept senior management, penny wise and pound foolish management style

Toxic

I've never worked anywhere with so many. unhappy people and management basically says"yup- it's bad". They don't try to make anything better or improve morale. Peers are good people for the most part- just miserable. It's sad.

September 20, 2022
We value our associates and encourage them to provide constructive feedback in an open and honest workplace environment. Empower has training programs to support new and existing managers to improve the associate experience.

Good at first but beware

I started with Empower and loved the company culture. The training was the best part but once you get on the phones, you are on your own. For allll of the things we are “trained” to do for participants, there’s minimal appreciation and that’s the worst part. Depending on where you are, the pay is okay but there should definitely be more offered. I’ve done call center work before but this one is the most stressful by far. It’s almost constant calls with no real breaks and management will get on you for being a minute over your breaks. They hire quick but most of the new reps leave within the first month so take that as you will.

September 20, 2022
We are growing rapidly and that does lead to busyness across many departments. We are filling positions at an unprecedented pace to achieve appropriate staffing levels and encourage associates to use available time off. We strive to provide a welcoming and supportive training program for all new associates and appreciate feedback.

The hardest part is clients

Honestly, I loved working here. The only flaw was I was a temp moving to contract and the offer kept getting postponed. That was truly the only issue I had overall

September 20, 2022
Thank you for your feedback! We strive to create a positive culture for all associates to thrive in. Historically 30 – 40% of our positions have been filled internally. We are growing quickly and investing money in our people via improvements to technology, total rewards, and development and growth opportunities.

Management needs a lot of improvement....

Management wasn't the best. My manager had poor manger skills as far people skills & worked related skills. As a essential employees, is think we wasn't taken care like we were supposed be taken care of, overlooked a slot of times, underappreciated a slot of times! The employees is worked with were the best. Everyone stuck together & helped one another out when needed....

September 20, 2022
Thanks for your feedback. We regularly survey our associates and take action on their feedback. We embrace diversity, fostering an inclusive workplace where our associates feel welcomed to be their authentic selves. We have training programs to support new and existing managers to improve the associate experience.

Look Elsewhere

This company has grown too big too fast. Employees are treated like cogs in a machine. Everything is so disorganized. No one seems to know which way is up. Most importantly the employee is not cared about other than what they can produce. If you are not a long time employee you are basically ignored. You need to belong to a clique in order to be recognized. Complete lack of structure.

September 20, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are growing rapidly and that does lead to busyness across many departments. Many departments are busy due to our rapid growth, and quality and accuracy are critical to protecting our clients’ assets. We are filling positions to achieve appropriate staffing levels and also encourage associates to use available time off.

Good company

The koolaid can be a little much at times. You hear a lot about how Empower is the absolute best and transformative. It’s great to be proud and energized by your work, but it’s to the point where the culture has too many yes men and not enough voices to refine ideas. This results in inefficient processes sticking around too long. They will solve this, of that I have no doubt. Management just needs to make it clear they actually want feedback and ideas, which they do, they just aren’t getting it due to the koolaid attitude.

Pros

Remote work, comp

Cons

Volume can be overwhelming

September 20, 2022
We regularly survey our associates and take action on their feedback. We embrace diversity, fostering an inclusive workplace where our associates feel welcomed to be their authentic selves. We are investing money in our people via improvements to technology, total rewards, and professional development.

Stressful and no fun at work

Company policy wise it's good but these days management people are not good. Managers are not having proper experience of people management and they can promote anyone at anytime they feel like.

What is the best part of working at Empower Retirement/Great West Financial?Pay for my position was fair but I was brought in when Empower bought MassMutual so I can't speak to Empower normal wages.What is the most stressful part about working at Empower Retirement?Corporate bureaucracy that stifles any individualism or free thought. What is the work environment and culture like at Empower Retirement?Your managers manager has a manager setting quotas and goals. But they cannot understand your position because they are far removed from it. What is a typical day like for you at Empower Retirement?Make call outs, take incoming calls, answer emails, fill forms, team checks ins, team meetings, uninspiring motivational meeting, break, repeat.

September 20, 2022
Thanks for your feedback. We are growing quickly and investing money in our people via improvements to technology, total rewards, and development and growth opportunities. We evaluate pay and benefits regularly to help ensure we remain competitive in the marketplace. We are developing more training programs to support new and existing managers to improve the associate experience.

Overall good

I love my role and working for the company. I can see though for the call center reps it can be more difficult especially since covid for work life balance. As a manager I do feel bad at times that there isn't more I can do to help, but our hands are tied as well at times due to call volumes and staffing. The benefits are good and the pay isn't bad depending on where you're located.

There's Better

I thought Empower was a good place to work in the beginning of my career there but, eventually learned the truth which is unless your in the clique you won't be able to succeed.

Pros

The type of work

Cons

Everything else

September 20, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide an open and honest forum for associates to address their concerns with their direct managers or through our internal HR processes. We embrace diversity, fostering an inclusive workplace where our associates feel welcomed to be their authentic selves.

Very repetitive

I didn’t enjoy the job at all but there are good people to work with that can help along the way. This is a job where you often deal with angry customers and not much breathing room between calls.

September 20, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. Empower strives to provide the highest level of service for our clients. We provide consistent training and development for our associates to be able to handle difficult interactions.

Great pay terrible hours

We have been understaffed since I started 9 months ago. Mandatory Overtime every week range if from 1-2 hours. Management knows we are swamped but just says it sucks and it’s how it is. They hire about 100 new people a month or so they say but probably 80% quit after a week.

September 21, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are growing rapidly and that does lead to busyness across many departments. We are filling positions at an unprecedented pace to achieve appropriate staffing levels and encourage associates to use available time off.

poor management

Be careful they will stiff you out of your commission due to horrible management. also training in only one month and then you are thrown in the deep in. Only good thing is working remote and that they got me licensed so I can now go work remote for fidelity

Poor environment and leadership

Employees are not valued or recognized for efforts and that has created a miserable environment. Managers fear losing jobs and no one speaks up about dissatisfaction or even push for positive improvements. Basically just say - yeah I know it sucks- oh well. As if that’s helpful. There’s no sense that anyone has your back- even when you work hard and are good at job. Even customers no longer like Empower. Sad place to work.

September 21, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We value our associates and encourage healthy workplace discussions. We strive to provide an open and honest forum for associates to address their concerns with their direct managers or through our internal HR processes.

Great company

Easy application process. The company offers great benefits. Not too thrilled about the schedules offered. You must be flexible as breaks and lunches are not the same everyday.

Improvement Needed

Company has work to do on providing clear direction and leadership from top-down. Moving fast is the focus with no appreciation for workforce. WLB was trending down especially during COVID.

September 21, 2022
We are growing quickly and investing money in our people via improvements to technology, total rewards, and development opportunities. We evaluate pay and benefits regularly to help ensure we remain competitive in the marketplace.

Very disappointed

I don’t even have the energy, this company is a poor fit for someone who is independent, skilled, and driven. You will be micromanaged and treated like you have no experience or skill. I took this position to work from home and grow with the company. Never told I could not advise, but only “educate”. Pushed to put people in IRAs without being able to tell them why they should, again “educate” them on options. People need help and this position is straight sales with no ability to truly help people. If u are an advisor, run from the retirement consultant position.

Pros

6% Match on 401k

Cons

Micromanage, managers only give negative criticism, role not clearly explained

September 21, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. As we continue to grow, we evolve how positions are structured in order to best serve our customers and their needs. Making sure that our customers are appropriately educated regarding their retirement account options is a priority, as this allows them to make informed financial decisions long term rather than solely relying on point-in-time advice.

Training is the best part till you start taking calls

This job hire temps use them then fire them then post the job after they let 80% of the training classes go do it all over again they are users don’t work for this company run as fast as you can & you get customers screaming at you all day

Pros

Paid every week with good pay

Cons

Short breaks and over work you and uses Temps this job is very Tedious

September 21, 2022
Thank you for your feedback. We are growing rapidly and that does lead to busyness across many departments. We are filling positions at an unprecedented pace to achieve appropriate staffing levels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Empower. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Empower
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?