CliftonLarsonAllen

CliftonLarsonAllen Employee Reviews

Workplace

Good public accounting firm to work for. Decent hours.Job work and life balance is ok. Everything else is ok. Good strong teammates. Very knowledgeable.

Work life balance

Having the right team makes a difference no matter the industry. Found myself not knowing if I’d like SLG but then enjoying it due to who I was surrounded by.

It all depends on your office and your managers - mine are running out of juice

There doesn't seem to be enough consistent work to go around. Communication about this is poor. Everyone's billing rate got jacked way up with little corresponding increase in pay. This is especially true if you have been around for a few years. If you understand public accounting, you understand how detrimental a high billing rate can be to an associate or a senior.Corporate management is only concerned about growth and policies that benefit offices in high growth areas of the Country.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Corporate fakeness

Great place to learn and develop skills

CLA is a great place to learn and continue to develop your core accounting skills. You will always be challenged and asked to try something new. Sometimes you will receive responsibility you do not necessarily like.

Cons

Compensation is below market

Intern

There are not many tasks for interns except audit and taxGreat people, supportive management.I believe that it depends on which office you work at.Pay is decent.

Pros

Great people, culture

Cons

Pay

Good company just not enough opportunities as a contractor.

Overall, CLA is a great company to work for. However, as a contactor, I'm currently looking to work less the 40 fours per week. CLA or the CAST division I work for is not getting enough opportunities with work hours less than 40.

Pros

Good company

Cons

Not enough opportunities

What is the best part of working at the company?Great people to work with! Good benefits. Flexible location (working from home or the office or client locations). The firm is promoting work-life balance, but chargeable hours are still the first priority.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Meeting the chargeable hours budget is the most stressful part about working at this, or any other, CPA firm.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Work-life balance and a flexible work schedule are being promoted from all levels of leadership. Great people to work with. My office includes a lot of down-to-earth people who connect with others, and who are also very good at what they do professionally.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Each day is different. Lots of variety in both clients and projects. Makes it enjoyable to go to work.

New to Public Tax Accounting

As a new hire I had very little experience in public accounting and no experience in the specialty I was placed in. I found myself surrounded by staff willing to help me succeed and propel me forward. My compensation felt strong as a new grad, but I was underpriced for my specialty by the time the annual salary discussion came around, and I made the decision to leave. Would return as a more experienced professional.

Clique

All of the administrative assistants are very clique. During the almost year I was employed as an administrative assistant, the department I supported along with the Director would stand around my cubicle and make lunch plans. This occurred 1 - 2s per week and did not invite me. Same goes for the other 11 administrative assistances.

Great people and work environment

The phoenix office definitely cares about you. All the directors and principals are all great people and they really try to understand you and help you. The teams are amazing as well and they are willing to spend their time, even if they are busy, to help each other.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at CliftonLarsonAllen?

Solid company to establish the groundwork for your career or a long-term relationship

Working at CLA is all about what you want to achieve. All they ask in return is your commitment to dependability, teamwork, and focusing on your job when you are actually on the job. If you prefer not to work when you are getting paid to work, please stay away. If you desire to join a team that cares about you and make a difference with the work you do, please apply. During my 2 decades with CLA, I observed many people who took advantage of the flexible work arrangements, including myself. Choosing to work part-time for several years while your children are young will not prevent you from becoming a principal if that is your goal. It may take some time to find the team/supervisor that fits your personality, but once you do they will remain loyal to you and help in any way possible. Yes, some offices have culture issues. The hours can be demanding at certain times of the year. Local management needs to do a better job of cutting losses early when new staff clearly lack the skills for the position, choose not to work, or flat-out lie to your face.Still, I would recommend CLA as a great place to start, or stay. The enormous opportunities they have in all types of industries across the country allow you to choose your own adventure. I have no regrets about my time at CLA.

Great working environment

Enjoyed working with great people. All employees were friendly. A working environment with potential growth opportunities. Great location in Pasadena. The office Manager is great!

Nice location

Typical tax preparer work. You have be able to work independently as you will not be able to get much help during busy season. Do not start during busy season if you are new to public accounting, start a couple months before.

Toxic work environment

Not recommended to work at CLA, management is not supportive and will stab you when you least expected. Stop judging your employees and support them instead and you will see that your doing better and won't have so much turn over.

Great Culture

I loved the culture CLA cultivates. Work life balance could be a challenge and busy season is a heavy load for everyone. However, everyone pulls their own weight.Your experience at each office will depend on the location (I was based in San Antonio) and your willingness to go out and find new work. You really have to take charge of your own success, you can't just sit in the back and be expected to be given work.

Pros

Excellent team culture

Cons

Have to be a self starter and work life balance

Good work place

Cla takes work life balance more seriously than the big 4, but It Is still public accounting so there will be none. Pay Is solid, nothing outstanding but it is accurate with the market rate.

incluve

this workplace is inclusive. good work life balance and benefits. It is a typical accounting firm, busy during tax season and could be slow during off season.

Grwat

Great place to work. Just started out in my accounting career here and have been here for about two years now. I can see myself working here for years to come.

My Team Makes The Magic

I've been learning to let go of my "norm" accounting location trama; timing my breaks and expecting people to look over my shoulder...It's a heavy weight that's been lifted from my shoulders since joining CLA family. I know that not all departments/locations are the same and makes me thankful for the coworkers and management I interact with.Work/Life balance is still an unsolved mystery during the revolving door of workers - like most companies...I enjoy my 12minute commute, beautiful office and the support of my team and those I now call friends.It's not all rainbows and unicorns: It's ACCOUNTINGBusiest season(s) (It's ALWAYS busy for my team) are a bit insane.. days run together, long hours, bad/stressed attitudes but we do our best and try to provide some relief from the madness.I'm always learning and given opportunities to help impact the culture and help my community.

Pros

location/people/learning enviornment

Cons

Budgeted Hours stress us out more than help, short staffed in comparison to the workload, family/work balance is hard to find.

Project based position review

Employment is dependent on projects, which is understandable. However, the project based positions have no real advancement opportunities. The majority of the work in this position could be done by someone who does not have the aptitude to get a college degree. Reasoning skills are occasionally used, but are not necessary for much of the work. Most of the job experience is difficult to transfer in any practical way.

Inclusive and flexible culture with opportunities to grow!

I have the flexibility I need to accommodate living and working with a disability. The culture is inclusive and supportive, and there is so much opportunity at CLA to learn and grow. The path to advancement is clear, and the company provides you with support so you can get where you want to go. After your first month you choose a career coach who acts as a mentor and sounding board. The advice I've received from my coach has been invaluable.

Pros

Great people. Supportive management. Flexibility. Culture of inclusion. Pay. Benefits.

Cons

Client-facing roles may find work/life balance difficult.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CliftonLarsonAllen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• CliftonLarsonAllen