BKD

BKD Employee Reviews

Okay, not great.

It's hit or miss. You may have good leadership in your office, you may not. You are going to be underpaid in any office. We do not get annual performance bonuses and your salary will be below market. Lazy people may have work/life balance but if you have any self-respect and do decent work, you will be worked like a machine. Retention beyond associate is not great in some offices so in-charges and seniors take the brunt of the work. You will constantly get harder and harder work and be asked to do things beyond your level, which is great for growth and learning, but gets old when you are not being compensated or promoted to match that work level and the contribution you are making to company.

Bad Leaders

Prior to the merger the leaders in the Houston office left much to be desired. They allowed anti semitism. They do not value differences. While some try the top leaders leave a lot to be desired.

Pros

some of the newer staff really have a good vision on what they want

Cons

Leadership in the Houston office prior to merger

Friendly environment

Everyone is friendly and happy to see you. They treat you with respect. Great benefits and willing to work with you when you need some time off.

Cliques

You needed to be in a clique for success and advancement. I still advanced in the company, my boss was not in one of those cliques. The work is very fast paced with much overtime. Highly stressful.

Productive team work, Encouragement to grow your skills

When I worked there you were very busy but the people you work with were awesome. I learned so much from my supervisors. The work environment is challenging but it brings out the best in you.

Great place to work!

BKD is a great place to work. The people are supportive, the atmosphere is welcoming and fun. Public accounting is challenging, always will be, but BKD strives to make it a rewarding experience.

Good Internship Experience

A good place to have an internship with a variety of clients you can experience. Can be difficult at times to get help on certain assignments due to short-staffed, but culture seems friendly.

Pros

Lots of industries to experience, socials, relaxed office environment.

Cons

Staffing issues on engagements, long hours, full-time offer isn't very competitive

No complaints

I enjoyed it. Nice coworkers and management. Straightforward assigning of projects. Never felt confused or out of place. Would work again if I was still in accounting.

Pros

Work-life balance, easy-going management

Cons

Long hours leading up to deadlines

Strong culture. Work can be a bit dull.

Strong culture. Work can be a bit dull. Working to add some more benefits (bonuses). Overall management and people are good, just not a very exciting place to work.

Pros

Work life balance Co workers

Cons

Stress during busy season Boring work

Great

Would recommend to anyone,love it here. Would recommend applying to everyone. If you want good $$ come here. Family feeling here will work here forever.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Healthcare

Horrible Place to Work

Worst accountancy firm I've worked for.Managers & directors admitted to having no experience in the department I worked in.There was little to know technical support or guidance from managers/partners/directors in my area of practice. Partners, directors, and managers ignored areas of risk with clients.There was no team dynamic.Workloads not fairly balanced (in quantity & difficulty)Co-workers more concerned about "having fun" at work than doing their job well.People in my department had a complete lack of personal responsibility and candor.Lots of gossip and drama.HR unapproachable.Management unapproachable or passive aggressive if you approached them with concerns, or they ignored them.If I were a business owner, I would not trust them. I've worked for firms with much higher standards for accuracy & documentation.

Great culture, great learning

The NYC office has incredibly energetic and nice people working there. Compared to other places I've worked, most people at BKD seem happy to help. Their size as a CPA firm ensures you get exposed to many areas without feeling overworked (in my case).

Pros

Frequent pizza parties and events

Stodgy environment

Judgemental, no work life balance, no fun. You get judged for having a personality. Anyone who isn’t constantly burying their face in the work must be a degenerate who isn’t being productive. Not a laid back environment at all even compared to other firms

Pros

They have a stocked fridge

Cons

Hard to get good review comments

Below average

The firm expects 20-25% more hours from staff than competing firms leading to no work life balance. The pay is low, no advancement, and you won't be exposed to much due to clients being generally unsophisticated. Generally a bad experience in comparison to your other options in this field.

Productive workplace. Flexible with schedule.

There is a good amount of PTO and it's very easy to leave during the day for appointments. The job hours are relatively flexible. Benefits are very standard. Promotions work differently here and you get raises once a year and promotions are considered during that time.

Opportunity for those who stick it out

The environment is good for those who constantly want to learn and be challenged. Prepare for long hours and complex problems. The people that I have worked with are enjoyable

Good culture

I tried BKD on the recommendation if a manager I previously worked with at big 4. Overall everyone was very kind and supportive in the office and a pleasure to work with. My only negative comment was that it was very compliance heavy and lacked a lot if the big "sexier" projects you might see at a firm like big4.

It is a good place to work with good pay. Very high expectations and sometimes unclear guidance. Tax season takes it out of you. But overall, it’s a decent job.

Pros

Flexibility

Excellent people, but not a great industry across the board

The managers at the Denver office are incredible! I greatly appreciate their transparency and leadership. I love my coach and my buddy, as they genuinely want to see me succeed. The lifestyle of an accountant, in general, is tricky. For me, personally, I prefer a constant flow of work. In this firm, you can be working 75 hours one week and then barely scrape 40 hours the next. The culture is great and most people are friendly in the Denver office.

Everyone is helpful and I liked working here

It was good, but the days were long. Everyone is very helpful and the stressful times are made up for by easy times during non-busy season. Some people complained that the work was too hard, but I am not one of them.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours during the busy season

Difficult working environment

Employees are treated poorly and the pay is the lowest in the industry. The managers do not support the staff and can be very harsh. You will need thick skin to tolerate this working environment.

Pros

It can only get better once you leave here

Cons

Low pay and long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BKD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BKD
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?