Barnes & Noble logo

Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews

Showing all 6,594 reviews

Great First Time Job

I started as a barista when the place first opened. It was a great first job experience. The problem I had near the end was feeling the current manager played favorites while I was overwhelmed with work. That manager is not there anymore luckily.

Pros

free starbucks

Cons

high speed

Pleasant job, hours cut often

Very pleasant environment to work in, but if you are part time hours are often volatile and you don't know if you'll get enough for the week. Great company in some ways but frustrating in others.

Fun workplace, but corporate oversight (or often lack thereof) often leads to frustrations of the booksellers.

What is the best part of working at the company?Working with passionate people.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Typical retail and corporate nonsense What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Mostly positive, but heavily stresses knowledge that is mostly only accessible off the clock. Product knowledge, though often a passion of booksellers, is not compensated in the hourly wage, but is expected. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Shelving, ringing, but most importantly talking to customers about shared passions in authors and genres.

Management focuses on work, not too much politics

The Monroe Distribution Center has been a good place to learn and work on a variety of applications as an IT programmer. The managers spend most of their energy helping us get the job done without a lot of unnecessary micro-managing or political nonsense. The shop does not have the most streamlined project workflow, and that can be frustrating, but it can be improved.

Flexible and Fun

I enjoy working here, my managers are understanding and good with working with college students and their hours! My only complaint with the company is the pressure for getting paid memberships from customers; but that is the nature of working retail!

Good place

Love the people, but especially the books! Was able to work with my schedule as I go to school full time. Would recommend to work here. And sometime you get free books!

Coworkers make or break job

Great job with low pay - hopefully they will change the pay with the new $20 minimum for baristas. Company is finicky with dress code for no reason. Managers can make or break the job. Definitely only for those who are okay with the part-time work or students.

Mostly good times but not enough people for the amount of work required

What is the best part of working at the company?Sharing book knowledge with customers and employees What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not enough coverage to cover breaks and help customersWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Generally good unless you have a poor management teamWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Helping customers while working on tasks

Fun Workplace

Genuinely fun experience if you are interested in books. They value diversity in their employees regarding book genre preferences so that they have total coverage for customers who come looking for recommendations.

positive and supportive workplace

Was fun to work at. Staff in the cafe was caring and supportive. Management itself needs to do better in allowing the cafe management to have more control in scheduling workers.

Just okay

Fine if you need a job. Didn't have to do much, managers weren't always great and the hours were long. Coworkers were cool. Training was lacking sometimes

Good Place

Nothing special. It was a a job I got laid off from once they deleted the position. The manager was a bit of a perv, but I don't think he works there anymore

Wonderful store with all genre available for customers, but store went down hill after original store manager left.

What is the best part of working at the company?Engaging with customers about favorite books and escorting them throughout the store. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Dealing with unprofessional covering management female employees that cause disruption among fellow employees. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Pressure from covering female leads to unionized and not respecting fellow employees choice not to participate. What is a typical day like for you at the company?Opening/closing store procedures. Reorganizing and restocking shelves. Refreshing display tables. Relocating books and other products to their proper location.

I loved it and would have stayed if I could.

What is the best part of working at the company?Working with a great group of coworkers. Also having nice customers.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not having the items customers were looking for.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very nice and calm. College town so always college students in there shopping.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Quiet just shelving books or cashing out customers.

Low Pay But Nice Work Environment

I loved working at Barnes & Noble, but the pay was unsustainable for me. The environment with books and coffee shop are so pleasant. Working with customers was fulfilling. Some upper management could be a bit over-focused on the bottom line to the detriment of it being a happy work environment.

Fine

General corporate cafe work. Not too hard. Opportunities to meet interesting people. Pleasant bookstore smell. I bought a goosebumps boxed set before I resigned.

Fun place to work

It's retail but my coworkers were great and my managers at the time were awesome. I've worked at a different store in another state and my experience working at this store was a lot better.

Not the best

If you're a bookseller; you're either overworked or have no hours.If you're a barista; you don't get help & are doing the job of At Least 2 people. Pay is not bad for an entry level job anyone can get; but it isn't worth it overall.

Fun workplace

Good team, good management, overall fun job. Good benefits, especially if you are an avid reader. The team and management really make or break the work culture. Would work for the company again.

good first job

fun environment if you love books but the work can get very redundant. not very flexible with scheduling. pay is low. good for retail and basic work skills

Great part time job

Work is great here especially if you love books. People are great and supportive. This job isn't too stressful besides getting memberships. It's all fairly easy. Breaks and lunch are provided. Employee discount is also really generous

Pros

Work load, People, Employee discount

Cons

Nothing!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Barnes & Noble. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question