Bank of the West

Bank of the West Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,514 reviews

Great incentive

Great quartly incentive plans, good people locally. Competitive pay and good environment to work. Cons are it is a bigger bank with corporate vibe and slow systems that can lead to poor customer experience

Great place to learn

Great place to learn new things and figure out what other career paths you may want to take that branch off from financial services. There is a lot of free information.

Don’t work here

Very disorganized, inconsistent, and outdated. I left because one of the bank managers constantly used demeaning language to employees in front of customers & other employees. Look for a place that respects you, your time, and your work.

Pros

Premium accounts

Cons

No breaks, benefit package, outdated systems

The company is good but and so it’s staff. You are always learning new skills. The customers are great, consistent schedules and depending on manager can be a fun environment.

Decent Place to Work

I don't have any major complaints, other than their technology in the branch is severely lacking. Processes need to be faster for customers. Benefits are good and pay is average.

Stressful place

Hard time working with the Branch Manager it was very up and down I felt afraid to ask for help or ask a question as the Assistant Branch Manager because of the response I would get back. The work environment was not conducive to staff growing the bank was so focus on sales and not employees or lack of staff.

Benefits

Cons

Low Pay for Assistant Branch Managers

What is the best part of working at the company?The customers are amazing. The staff is also amazing. The company allows for growth and they are very family oriented.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not enough time in the day to complete tasks. Need more employees/longer lobby hours.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?The culture and environment is very homey and fun.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Very busy with walk in Platform customers.

Assistant Branch Manager

Excellent place to work! Would recommend to anyone interested in helping customers with their needs. I have learned so much working at this bank! The staff & management are top notch! I have worked at a local bank for 14 years prior to BOTW and have learned so much more here. I highly recommend this bank & its management!

Pros

Helping customers, time off, pay

Worst Job I've Ever Had

Chronic staffing issues lead to high workload and inability to meet goals.Incompetent management.Toxic sales culture with unrealistic goals. In order to reach my first tier of incentive pay I have to open 30 accounts per quarter. In looking at branch history, this branch usually opens 40 a year.Absolutely ZERO training and horrible IT/Tech Stack - took six weeks to get me access to basic Day-One systems, teller transactions require three different programs to interface with each other, and all three of those programs are dependent on both a DOS command prompt and Internet Explorer. It's 2022!The meanest, rudest, and most unpleasant customers I've ever had after a decade in banking.

Pros

Close to Home, Pay isn't TERRIBLE

Cons

No training, no support from back office, mean customers, incompetent management, terrible tech stack, no growth strategy.

Best place to work

Good place to work, the management team always helpful and friendly to you. It is like a family working here. I would recommend this company if you want to start a career.

So far so good

Able to work remotely and not micromanaged. IT is a hot mess! Always having the same as well as new issues with equipment. Manager is very hands of. Allows and trusts you to do your job on your own.

Pros

Great pay and management

Cons

IT can’t get it together.

Benefits were good but expensive. 1 percent yearly raises was awful

Toxic work environment . Favorites and cheap raises, not supportive and no room to grow. Two star rating. It was ok but the worst place i ever worked at

Pros

Health insurance but expensive

Amazing place to work

Worked there for a while. The training was amazing and I learned a lot! Prepared me for interacting with customers and helping them with their online banking accounts and any other problems they had.

Toxic Environment & Seniority Gets in the Way

It’s a nice bank to bank with but it isn’t forgiving at all. Be prepared to leave and know everyone is talking about you who is up in management. It’s very clique here, you gotta know someone to move up and you can’t trust anyone. It’s a very toxic environment, upper management claims success off of your own hard work and will give you no credit.

Pays well; lacks flexibility. Also feels a little monotonous.

Call Center Rep-Remote.A bit too many technical issues for a job relying on it so much. Nice customers but strict policies.At points, it got really tedious. As my first call center job, I've discovered it's not really for me. The constant need to be available on the phones and nothing else was draining. I've found funnily enough that Food Service is more predictable.

Pros

Um... nothing really jumps out at me.

Cons

Short breaks--I miss hour lunches--flexibility depends on position. Micromanagement.

Ethical and Supportive Culture

Bank of The West truly cares about the people. The bank supports growth and work/life balance. Bank of The West is one of the best banks I have ever worked for.

Cons

What is the best part of working at the company?Great peopleWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?working out of the emailbox

What is the best part of working at the company?Nice building What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Management What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Unhealthy and toxicWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Stressful

Okay

I have been with the bank for 5 years. I started as a teller and have worked my way up as an Assistant Branch Manager. There is definitely growth within the company. My only struggle is the technology side. There has been some “updates”, however the technology programs and equipment are out dated.

Stay away! This bank will mess up your job history.

I worked at a branch that had a yearly turnover! BOTW has an old computer infrastructure that fails in so many ways all the time. I never felt I could trust management. They are so two-faced.

Great opportunity for growth!

Honestly, I loved this bank. Overall a great company to work for, top notch training, great benefits, and once you get into the right branch you really love your job! Now, the bad, there are sales goals and if you are not into promoting the bank or helping customers this is not the place for you. Some will say the sales goals are hard to reach, if you are starting off as a Service Banker (teller) this is a great stepping stone. The goals in reality are not hard to achieve as long as you have the outlook of helping your customer and helping them achieve their financial goals, once you have that mindset you’re golden and the things you need for your goals start to roll in. Growth within the company is easy, reach your goals have top notch customer service and be eager to learn, you can start all the way from the bottom and go to the top. I could say many more great things but it is up to you if this is a good fit. Upper management is helpful and if you are having issues talking to them helps because they will collaborate with you to help you out. What it boils down to, I would still be with this company if I had not moved to an area where they are not at (yet). The minute they come into my region I will go back to work for them because I love the company so much!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bank of the West. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Bank of the West
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?