BAE Systems

BAE Systems Employee Reviews for Pipefitter

Pipefitter18 reviews

Found 18 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,156 reviews

Hard labor, not for everyone

I stared as an apprentice, worked my way up to journeyman. Getting raise every 6 months helped alot in motivating. If you want to be an overtime king, you can, if you don't, you probably won't even be asked to work.Every year layoffs happen, but pipe shop was not as affected as other departments.

Very poor man management code of conduct poor

Very poorly organised tend to put young people with no experience into high positions don’t listen to the skilled older workforce lot of micro management used concentrating on cost and safety management very poor

Pros

Cons

Very poor company to work for no support for Team Leaders

Fun work place

Great workers. This place is not stress full. You never feel preasure. Besides some leadman or general foreman that would try to have everything done way before time but again they are just doing there job.

Pros

Rewards every year for accomplishments

Cons

Short breaks

ok

was ok to work for i was only on a temporary contract and did not really have any permanent work with the company but enjoyed working there when I did

Not forward thinking

I believe the style of management is behind the times and feel they should review this asap. I also think they should invest in upgrading the yard technology

Cons

very short breaks

Not a Workplace for Modern People

There are many thing about the shipyards that need to be improved, from management attitude to the general culture of its workers. It paints itself to be a wonderful company, but there is very little to prove it from the shop floor.

Pros

Decent wage.

Cons

Terrible working culture.

Good job security

Enjoyed my time with BAE, Learnt lots and lots of money invested in safety and training their employees. Noit the highest salary, but other good benefits. Pension, Share schemes etc

BAE Systems provide a great apprenticeship scheme which involves working with different roles which come under the heading of a Pipefitter i.e.. Fabrication, Installation and welding.

great place to work

type 45 and the aircraft carrier but the works coming to an end been working with bae for 11 years and its time to move in to the oil and gas side of pipefitting

Work day

Job handed out first thing. Go onboard vessel and work on the job on my own. Co workers a pleasure to work with.Good lads/lasses who were willing to help out. Hardest part of the job was working on own on some jobs that were a 2 man job.

Pros

Work in home town

Cons

not a secure place to work

sofe work place

is a good place to work with lots of stimulating tasks to keep you buissy

Intence And Hostile environment

Typical days work includes been given daily targets to meet and excel to your best ability. The management could be done better, seems to be a 'us against them' approach at times, like to make things difficult, creating a divide. co-workers are all very helpful with one another. The job however is very enjoyable and satisfying as its good to see your hard work pay off.

Pros

Free Share Insentive plan and also annual bonus

Cons

Underpaid

Productive, enjoyable work atmosphere

A typical day involves communicating with managers to recieve jobs, which could come in the form of an engineering drawing or via verbal instructions. Working on your own or as part of a team to complete these jobs in safest quickest manner, using the relavant skills gained through my experience. Overall I've enjoyed my time working for the company.

treated like a robot

bell to bell working with unreasonable demands, i was treated like an outcast because i attended a football match even though i never talked about it or bragged about it like my supervisors did. there was also a case when jimmy johnson passed away that during the toolbox talk we all had to stand for a minutes silence as this deep underlying religious divide still remained in this day and age. i feel this was brushed under the carpet by the management leaving me and other guys with nowhere to turn for help with bullying.

Pros

early finish friday

Cons

most supervisors will discriminate depending on your religion

Good Job Good Mates

before I worked in the yards I was a travelling man going from job to job ,after I started in Govan I was surprised how soon I took root and as I was being encouraged stay by the wife I sort of drifted into it three days before I started I came back from Paris where I had been working for Howdens it was November and I told myself this will do me till the new year but I was still there in march and was admitted into the pension scheme this was the clincher I had a steady job I had made good friends the wife was happy the work was interesting the gaffers were friendly the days went by . Just over 24 years later I have taken voluntary redundancy and although I am content with the deal part of me wants my routine my friends my Job back

Pros

Workmates, steady employment

Cons

like most working people our wages are falling in real terms year on year

Worked on various M.O.D ships

Worked on various Ministry of Defence vessels New Build and Ship repair work generally fabricating and fitting pipework from small bore Cuni, copper and stainless steel to Large bore Steel. I spent most of my time in Portsmouth working on Oman 2 from the beginning when the ship was in Fabrication hall in sections right up to Hand over to Oman navy. I really enjoyed my time in Portsmouth and the only reason I left was down to the announcement of the yard closure. I worked in Portsmouth for almost four years and I really enjoyed being part of a great team.

Pros

Long Term, lots of overtime available, and I was lucky enough to work for a great management team.

Cons

48 hour rule, (no working over 48 hours per week)

productive and fun work place

in the pipefitting plumbing trade u can learn everyday,all u should want to do is get your work done and get on well with your co workers.

Professional Workplace

Early start to the day with health and safety briefing before carring out any pipefitting tasks.I enjoyed this experience on shipbuilding site which added to my experience other than bio-chemical and oil pipefitting.Enjoyable part of the jod was being part of massive ships being built in Glasgow which i am proud of.

Pros

job satisfaction, near home

Cons

temp contracts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BAE Systems. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• BAE Systems
  • Pipefitter
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?