Ashford University

Ashford University Employee Reviews for Admission Counselor in United States

Good money, poor management, THIS IS A SALES JOB

CONS - Don't let them fool you, this is first and foremost a SALES job, a high pressure sales job with numbers playing God. If you are the type of person who likes to help people for the sake of helping them, this is probably not for you. High enrollers are favored by everyone. Retention of students at this school is terrible because people are selling people on education that they really don't need, don't want or are not fit to take on, so they get through one or two classes and drop out, and end up owing the government money. This is because numbers are the only thing that matter to the higher-ups, starting with Admissions Managers going all the way up to Bill Ness and beyond. HOWEVER, there are some students who benefit greatly from online schooling and Ashford IS one of the best and most affordable of the online universitites. I am not a high enroller, but I retain students. That is because I only enroll people who WANT and NEED to go to school and are ready to take it on. I don't feel comfortable selling and pushing people into it. Because of that, I am generally treated poorly by my manager and director. My manager is very arrogant, there's a lot of drama within the company, a lot of turnover. Your job is NOT secure here if you work in Admissions. Also, my manager and director tend to talk smack about their employees and/or fellow managers which I find extremely disrespectful. Another con is that everything is HIGHLY regulated and monitored. Forget about freedom, it doesn't exist here. You are basically working for Big Brother. Your calls are monitored for -

Pros

money, work environment, location

Cons

sales job, high pressure, business practices

Do you want to be 100% micromanaged?

Do you want to be micromanaged? Management expects you to make 300 calls a day! That's ridiculous. You are basically stalking people whether you like it or not. Do you want to be pushed to enroll someone into college and "change their lives", get them into heaping amounts of debt, even if the person just truly wants to be a plumber? The student gets support through their first class, and then nada. All of this is absolutely unethical.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Micromanagement, unethical practices

Avoid This Place!!!

Your job as an Admissions Counselor is to sign everybody and anybody up for school. The problem is the school is actually legit. Of all the students that I enrolled for the program less than 10% ever graduated. These students were stuck with student loans that they will probably never pay back. These people were not ready for a 4 year college and should never have been enrolled at Ashford. When I started to get more selective on who I enrolled my enrollments when down and I was let go. Best day of my life. Avoid this place at all costs!!!!

Pros

hmmmmm

Cons

too many to list here

Culture of fear, greedy execs

Students were wonderful. Managers, CEO and the other higher ups were some of the worst people to live and breathe. No room for advancement unless your nose is tucked in a crack.

Pros

Free education

Cons

Everything else

great benefits in exchange for disrespect & poor management

I was an admission counselor there. A typical day included Identifying and Qualify Prospective Students , Maximize opportunity to qualify prospective students regarding the admissions process & program offerings,Schedule and conduct admissions interviews, Providing Student Progression/Servicing Existing Students/Administrative Time, and most importantly hitting quotas. This is a good temporary job for people needing to get there foot in the door with recruiting or hr and HAVE LOTS OF SALES EXPERIENCE and HIGH TOLERANCE FOR STRESS. I would not advise this position as a permanent career choice due to lack of job security. Their motto is here today, gone tomorrow. Recently they just let go of over 200 people and this is a consistent thing. Management there is awful and I think that is simply because there are no universal rules and you are moved around a lot within the same department and the department is broken up into teams and several managers. Everyone has different rules and ways of doing things. Some managers are nice and helpful and some are disrespectful bullies who are constantly using fear of losing your job to hit quotas. Which even though you sign a contract in the beginning agreeing to get 4 students a months, the management/University will increase it on you randomly without notice and if you can hit the numbers then you get wrote up and even fired. Which hurts because in reality they often hired people who were from backgrounds of ex nurses, teachers, manager, supervisors, bank tellers, and overall people with little to no experience with sales or quotas. -

Pros

great benefits

Cons

zero job security

High pressure sales position

Company often lays off employees that work in various student services position. Admissions counselors work in a high pressure sales environment. Expect to be making 200-250 calls per day.

Stay away!

They love to mass hirer and then do a mass lay off! They say the have a college in another state but that college was bankrupt and they only use it as a selling point. They lie so much to their employees on an every day bases! I wouldn't waste your time. Btw all your job is to convince poor people to go to college. take their money but them in debt and then forget about them after their first class. they claim the really care about the students, but its all lies its something they use to make you feel better about what your doing.

Met great people considering the environment

Worst job ever! Do not do it to yourself, it's not worth it. They lie to you about work duties and expectations.

Pros

Good people, good benefits, company gym

Cons

Horrible environment, treatment, culture, and job

High Turnover, Low Pay, Management Unprepared

This for-profit company recently laid off workers and offered voluntary lay-offs. Now they're hiring again??? Hmmm. Think before you apply. The parent company is currently going through multiple lawsuits with several states and with former employees. Not a stable environment to work in. Low pay for the work expected. Micromanagement in this company is very high. Work environment is High pressure, call center-like work environment (cold and warm market calls). Managers are not well prepared to manage people with more experience than they have themselves. Managers are inexperienced in their positions in most cases. If you don't produce minimum student enrollment expectations, you can receive reprimands. In my opinion, this is still a sales job. Think before you apply.

Cons

high turnover, low morale, shift work mentality, low pay, micromanagement, unprofessional atmosphere

Terrible work ethics

This company hires and fires without thought. I was part of a hiring group of 100. I worked there for 6 months and within the time I worked there, staff when from 800 to 87 in admissions counselors. The for profit model is all about sales, and is not about the students. I quit and found my integrity again.

Pros

Free ecopass

Cons

Everything besides the pay and ecopass

horrible culture of fear

motivating employees by threat of reprisal and termination. Believing that the better you do, the more risk you put yourself in for termination. Stress levels off the charts, and very little recognition for superior employees.

Pros

eco pass

Cons

culture of fear

Call it what it is - a sales job

I worked at Ashford University for 2.5 months in 2012. I was part of a 350 person layoff from this school. They might say they care, but they only care about their bottom line and not the students. If you care about yourself or students, don't work here!

Pros

fellow employees

Cons

management, and their mentality

Terrible Place to work for

Very bad place.... STRESSSSSSSSSSSSS I think this is a terrible place .

Cons

Terrible place run

Challenging and number driven

Every work day was eight hours and it was all based on selling to customers over the phone. I was an admission counselor and was trying to enroll adults for their online programs. It was difficult and challenging which is fine but the work area and the stress to get numbers was not enjoyable.

Pros

one hour lunch

Cons

eight hours in a cubicle

Not Great

It was the worst job I have ever had. It is a turn and burn company that only cares about the people.

Very Demanding

You work a 8 hour day, where you are helping people to enroll in school to change their current life situation. My co-workers were awesome, and management was good also. The hardest part about the job was keeping potential students on the phone to build enough rapport to feel comfortable enough with you to enroll into school. The most enjoyable part of the job was to hear the excitement in the students voice when they enroll, and get started.

Bleh

Bleh. Cool people. Bad management. VP's need to get on the phones and see it aint like the old days

Job Culture and Adancements

Poor company to work for due to the practices and guidelines. Its not a fit for everyone and they discriminate against individuals as a whole.

Micro-managed, highly-structured tele-marketing sales, loud, best for entry-level worker

I am over-qualified for this position and need more autonomy.

Pros

Perks, benefits, flexible hours, good training, decent starting wage

Cons

Micro-managed, too structured, poor morale, old sales leads.

They make it seem like you're changing lives when you a really destroying lives

This place is a scam. They are only after financial aid money and do not care about their students. This is basically a sales job. Morally, I could not work there knowing I was putting people (who are already struggling) into a bad financial situation in which the likelihood of them getting a degree from this university is minimal.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ashford University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Ashford University