Abu Dhabi Education Council

Abu Dhabi Education Council Employee Reviews

United Arab Emirates119 reviews

interesting Place

Lots of culture to learn. Had a great Head of Faculty but the principal could be hard. Not a lot of commitment to education at the school I was at - not the case for eeveryone.Salary was good at the time but things have since changed.

Pros

Great experience immersed in the culture

Cons

Not a lot of professional growth

Productive and collaborative. Lots of friendly interaction with teaching professionals from almost all over the world. Ongoing continuous professional development activities very useful

Pros

Supportive parents. Friendly BBQs

Cons

Tough students

Overall Great Company

Nice culture. Positive workplace. A positive workplace that consisted of employees who enjoy and are passionate about their work and who exhibit both personal and professional pride in teaching students. Understanding management.

Best education enviroment in middle east

Best education enviroment in middle east, multinational culture, diversity , good salary with best facilities ( house accommodation, travel package , medical insurance ) no Taxe

Not much disciple support

Great exchange of cultures experience. Develop greater sense of empathy, Language was a bit of a barrier especially when communicating with locals. You have to be resilient

Adec

Horrible experience. Don’t work there. Ignorant administration. Poorly behaved kids. Just poorly done. They let the Arabic teachers steal your things and do nothing about it. If you complain, watch out. You have no rights.

Great KG Teaching Experience

Amazing opportunity to be FREELY creative with developing highly engaging and life learning experiences for KG students that provide them opportunities to meet and exceed expected outcomes. Salary and benefit offerings during 2015-2019 for EMTs were great!

Positives Stopped Outweighing Negatives

The pay was great and we received housing and flight (each summer) as well. However, the inconsistency in company management, poor communication about contract changes in recent years and fear of losing the end of service bonus that I'd worked so many years to earn became too much to tolerate. The stress from not knowing what the future held on top of the often terrible student behavior made it easy to leave this position. The best thing was the overseas experience, opportunity to travel and lifestyle outside of work.

Pros

Travel, Yearly flight, Housing

Cons

Stress, Poor Communication, Disorganization

Professional workplace

Professional workplace with qualified teachers from all over the world. High standard for the children. Government school with good technology in the class to help students

For the Flexible, Adaptive and Resilient Only

If you can remember that you got off the plane to an entirely different culture and country, this job is for you. If you can live by the serenity prayer, this job is for you. If you can be flexible and shrug off frequent and sudden changes, this job is for you. This country is a benign dictatorship with a strong desire to improve, and ADEK is the organization depended on to do it. Your job situation is entirely what you make it, and as unique from school to school as snowflakes on the ground. Your expertise and connection to the students is the most important thing. Enjoy the culture. Love those kids. Travel. Do the town. You will make more money at this job than most private schools, and will be able to afford a lifestyle that is quite luxurious or save to buy that house quickly. I've seen many people take post grad courses, some using their situation for their research. It's up to you. As a previous employee, I'm glad I did it. I would do it again. But I've seen many people who can't practised the first 3 points I've made, crash and burn. It's safe, but use your head. It's fun, but mind the laws and the culture. And respect the culture. You will learn and enrich your life if you explore the culture. In a nutshell, it is what you make it.

Pros

Great salary

Cons

Frustration. Sudden changes. Unexpected challenges.

Summary

A beatiful and uplifting experience in the UAE. Learnt a lot about the Arab culture. Teaching English in the public schools has given me hands on experience as an ESL educator. Many different methods were learnt. Teaching with teachers from other western counties makes you grow as an educator to learn while interacting with a diverse staff.

Pros

Lovely country, fully equipped schools with ICT and multiple resources.

Cons

Curriculum can be demanding for esl Arabic leaners

A useful experience

The work was very enjoyable in the Council and I learned many experiences and many experiences through professional training every semester and through dealing with qualified cadres and long experience in work

a stressful place

Student behavior is very difficult as not a lot of self-control or consequences for their violent behavior. Things will be changing in the next year hopefully

A Great Experience

The day is always busy with different grades coming and going throughout the day. I have never had a classroom assistant so this has taught me to make sure that I am always organised and ready for the students. However, it does depend on the school which you are placed. I have also learned skills with time management as each lesson is only 45 minutes long. Working with different grades and age groups has enabled me to learn where students are and where they need to get to with their learning. Working with different students from different backgrounds and cultures has taught me a lot about different countries and traditions, also working closely with their families has been a unique experience. Te hardest part of the job is the lack of communication. No two days are hardly ever the same and sometimes I might be the last to know of any changes. The curriculum is always changing and this can be a bit frustrating as sometimes nobody seems to know whats going on! However, this has taught me flexibility and patience. I enjoy working with the different grades because their is a variety within the curriculum. My Principal is very supportive and the staff are always friendly and welcoming, When I worked in the Boy;s school there was always delicious food being cooked and shared by the locals and non locals

Pros

Good pay, opportunities to get to know about different cultures

Cons

Lack of communication from higher management

what I've learned

Things can change at the drop of a dime. You have to be flexible and willing to adapt. Over all working with the company has given me opportunities to do many things abroad in a short amount time had I not took advantage of it.

Great Cultural Experience

I worked 9.5 years in Abu Dhabi Government Schools. It was a fantastic experience. A typical work day started with the entire Grade1-12 and staff assembled at 7:45 to sing the National Song, salute the flag, announcements, awards and presentations. The classes typically began at 8:15. I was responsible for 2 classes per day, A Class A and B. I taught in 3 blocks of English, Math, and Science to native Arabic speaking students, for each class. Class A were homogenously grouped as the middle to higher performing students. Class B, was grouped for the low-middle to lower performing students. At 10 a.m., the students would break for lunch and electives/ I would receive the next class after my daily planning period, at 11:15. We would dismiss school at 2:00 p.m. I learned from my experiences here that I could do anything that I set my heart and mind to. I came to a foreign land, on my own and did not speak the language and thrived. I learned to learn about other cultures and values. I learned another language. I learned that children want and need to be loved everywhere in the world. At first, the management was resistant to the Americans coming and "changing everything". I say that because the country is only 45 years old, they are classical tribal people a and education was reforming before their eyes. Overall, once management realized that we come as guest and are only here to help, they warmed to our ideas and strengths. The workplace culture was very relaxed, quite the opposite for Americans and other Westerners. The culture is extremely and wonderfully -

Pros

Culture, weather, tax-free salary, benefits, students

Cons

Little room for advancement and raises

Great opportunity to travel

This company is currently going through a merger. While the opportunity to travel is great, job security is not. There are people who are in administration positions simply because they are local and not because they are qualified.

Forward thinking government education department

Working with ADEK has given me a wide range of opportunities to impact on educational reform within the UAE. Working with ADEK provides a rare opportunity to challenge yourself and make a difference to Emirati student learning. Not only will you lead student learning but you will learn a great deal yourself.

Pros

Rich opportunities to make a difference

Cons

Change is frequent.

A good place to work for a couple of years.

Teachers teach two classes throughout the day. The school day begins at approximatley 7:00am and students leave at approximately 1:30pm. Western Teachers teach English Maths and Science.

Pros

Package includes flight allowance, housing and health coverage.

Cons

No career advancement or increase in salary. No Job security.

Good and Challenging Place To Work

Abu Dhabi Education Council provided me with an excellent opportunity to thrive in a new setting. I recommend this job but being a geo-bachelor is a challenge for anyone.

Stressful/disorganized enviornment

This organization is not very organized. The constant indecision and change creates great stress. There is very little concern for well educated staff.

Pros

salary/benefits

Cons

Poor institutional culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abu Dhabi Education Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Abu Dhabi Education Council Reviews by Location

• Abu Dhabi Education Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?